Will Wright: Wii Belongs in "Toy Department"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
I have all three systems (PS3, 360, and Wii). I can tell you the family uses the Wii allot more than the other consoles. I don't think its a toy.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I think what he meant was that, generally speaking, people tend to play the wii for shorter periods of time. This makes it more of a short term diversion, which can be interesting for a while but doesn't exactly compell the user to all night game sessions. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but just speaking generally.

HoldDaMayo

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
better games than the PS3? no way, Wii games are downright terrible overall. VERY VERY few gem games from the top selling gimmick... cough... I mean console.

Bluescreendeath

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Maybe Will Wright should make better games. Spore lacked the customize-ability it was promised and the game play was incredibly shallow. Combined with ridiculous 3-install limit and DRM, it was an utter disappointment.

lehighace06

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
i agree 100%, a 'toy' to me is something that is fun to play with, but not worth large investments of time or money; a console gaming platform is worth larger monetary investments and considerably more time invested. example: i play super mario wii, mario kart, etc on wii with my wife for no more than an hour at a time, whereas assassin's creed, bioshock, etc all wind occupying my time for hours upon hours.

Elementgreen

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Sure, a lot of the games for teh Wii are VERY casual. But the Wii has a lot of potential for modders. I've never done it myself, but it's pretty cool to see a lot of the stuff you can use the Wii for; like emulators. Even so, its status in the market doesn't suggest that Wii consoles or games are absolutely horrible; regardless of whatever people they appeal to. I'm not so much a casual gamer myself, but I wont lie that once in a while I may play on a friend's Wii and have a blast while doing so. There's nothing wrong in enjoying a game, regardless of the console.

Still, I have yet to see any console that's worth buying over playing PC games, just my opinion.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
But arent all consoles toys by definition?I mean you do draw entertainment and fun from them and that is thier primary purpose is it not?

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
The Wii is taking on a part of the market the PS3 and XBox originally didn't, and it's because of that it's been successful. Still, because it's less powerful than the PS3 or 360, it's not seen as a platform for the hardcore gamer.

The Problem for the Wii now, is that it's the "1hr fun time" system, while when people want to play a more hardcore game they will turn to the 360, PS3, or PC. Even if the Wii started targeting hardcore gamers, it's a hard sell if it's sitting next to a PS3 or 360 when those systems are constantly putting out graphically superior games.

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Ha i totally agree. I only found mine fun when having a party.

I'm not too sure why i bought mine, i think it was because i could continue playing the mario karts and whatnot. eventually i got bored of nintendo reinventing the wheel.

Most of my friends bought it for the same reason aswell i think. None see much usage, not more than our xbox's or pc's.

My young counsin found much more fun in it than I, and i gave it to one of them for a birthday presant.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
If it wasn't for the Mario games, I wouldn't even have a Wii.
Mario Galaxy was the reason I got one and it was worth it just
to play that game. Now Mario Galaxy 2 is coming out and I can't wait to play it if I ever get away from playing FF XIII.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Well, when I see people flailing their arms around it does look a bit childish and silly.
Also, most Wii games are kids friendly or family oriented.

It's a gaming console for casual gamers, not the hardcore stuff.

dr sleep

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
The irony is that being a toy makes it more of a console suited to adults. Real adults don't have (or don't make) the time to sit around leveling up a character or playing through what is essentially a terrible action movie shot from 1st person. They have work, night life, stuff to do. The wii is perfect for company or just to play for a few minutes here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.