Win 10 Won't boot, Won't Repair

abrogard

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Just read a thread saying 'Easy Recovery Essentials' isn't essential - we should be able to do it ourselves.

Well I was about to buy it.

Because my Win10 won't boot. Put the install disk in and try for repair etc. and nothing will work.

Seems like maybe the BCD is corrupt.

I tried to rebuild following the bootrec thing but on the last line it does nothing but throw up a screen of explanation on how to use bootrec.

bdcboot c:\windows /1 en-us /s z: /f ALL

was the line. The place we were at was off the install disk and was something like x: source or something.

I think it is a bad hard disk. I've had trouble before.

I would like to go out and buy a new, good quality disk.

If I give up all hope of retaining that setup and go for a fresh install how can I retain my win10 serial or whatever?

It's a hassle or easy?

Back to the problem: should I buy that easy recovery thing or is there a free regimen somewhere I can work through?

and anyone see anything wrong with that command line I put in?

Solution
format the harddisk outside of Windows and reinstall. if you have properly backed up files, just replace with your backups after the new install. if the disk is still acting up, it is definite time to replace.

i would never pay for a recovery method. there is no proof of what is corrupt inside Windows, so no definite that the software mentioned will even be able to repair the problem or replace your files.

your Windows 10 is activated remotely and the serial is based on your core system hardware. replacing the disk; Windows should install and activate using your existing serial but if not, Microsoft will accommodate very easily and reactivate. I have replaced my motherboard twice since my initial install and MS has reactivated Windows...

JohnBonhamsGhost

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
format the harddisk outside of Windows and reinstall. if you have properly backed up files, just replace with your backups after the new install. if the disk is still acting up, it is definite time to replace.

i would never pay for a recovery method. there is no proof of what is corrupt inside Windows, so no definite that the software mentioned will even be able to repair the problem or replace your files.

your Windows 10 is activated remotely and the serial is based on your core system hardware. replacing the disk; Windows should install and activate using your existing serial but if not, Microsoft will accommodate very easily and reactivate. I have replaced my motherboard twice since my initial install and MS has reactivated Windows each time with zero hassle.

Solution