Question Win10 laptop keeps saying incorrect password

Aug 18, 2020
I have a HP laptop recently upgraded to Windows 10. When I power on it this morning, it keeps saying incorrect password. However, I never changed it as far as i know. Anyone have this issue and any suggestion to fix this?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Check your caps lock and entry of the password. It should not have changed unless you changed it during the installation process.

You can also try connecting an external keyboard or using the on-screen keyboard in the event there is a mapping issue with your laptop keyboard.

Aug 18, 2020
Check your caps lock and entry of the password. It should not have changed unless you changed it during the installation process.

You can also try connecting an external keyboard or using the on-screen keyboard in the event there is a mapping issue with your laptop keyboard.

Thanks. I tried a couple of times and no vail

Aug 21, 2020
I have a HP laptop recently upgraded to Windows 10. When I power on it this morning, it keeps saying incorrect password. However, I never changed it as far as i know. Anyone have this issue and any suggestion to fix this?
You did Windows upgrade,but the Windows upgrade does not change the password,the password may have been changed by someone else,do you have other accounts on HP laptop ?Such as the Administrator account or guest account,then login to laptop and open the control panel to change the password of your locked account,all problems will be resolved.
Another way to reset HP password is use some software,like Trinity Rescue Kit and John the Ripper.
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6970-john-the-ripper.html

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020
You did Windows upgrade,but the Windows upgrade does not change the password,the password may have been changed by someone else,do you have other accounts on HP laptop ?Such as the Administrator account or guest account,then login to laptop and open the control panel to change the password of your locked account,all problems will be resolved.

Only one admin and guest account