Win7 Language Bar - Not Opening

incurablegeek

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
I have been using the Japanese and Chinese IME since the mid 90's. Nary a problem.

Present System:

1) Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
2) Das mechanical keyboard - dual USB connects

Now I have written about 100 pages of Japanese in the past couple of years without a single problem, so I do know how to use the language bar.

After Reinstall of Windows 7

Bizarre Problem: Neither left-click nor right click open the Language Bar. Only by hitting Alt/Shift can I switch between the EN icon (English) and the JP icon (Japanese). But that is all. The language bar does not open, so that I can change settings, input method, output, etc.

The only possible problem that I can see, the only "variable" that is, would be the Das mechanical keyboard. In the past I used traditional Logitech wireless keyboards (membrane/dome switch).

Feel free to tell me I am suddenly doing something really stupid. Not a problem. My feelings have been hurt by professionals. :cry:

MeneerWitte

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
:hello:

Kindly I ask your attention.

I had this issue a long time ago, but I never did fix it.

However, I looked on the net and found this link:

http://windows.ifmdb.com/zLmp8Qk2-language-bar-problem-with-default-selection.html

There are more links to go for, there is one with nearly the same issue.

How I found it?

Typed your issue ad the search bar of my browser.

Reinstalled Windows 7 x64 and now language bar won't open

You can try different phrases, it might lead you to different search results.

Did you use (when so) a driver for the key board?

The latest or the one how was functioning well?

Did you updated the driver?

If so, deinstall and install the previous one. Report it and wait for the next update.

Did you try another key board and uninstalled the drivers of the one you use now.

Did you installed a software that wasn't installed ad the installation before?

You never know, or it is an OS installation error. That's not plessent, than you need to reinstall it all again.

Did you cleaned the pc inside?

When yes, check all parts and connections if the are installed proper.

Hopefully I let you known enough and that you will find the answers you seek!

Good luck & have fun doing it! :D

Best Regards,

MeneerWitte

HAPPY HOLLYDAYS & BEST WISHES 2013! :D

incurablegeek

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
@Meneerwitte, thank you so very much for your kind and very helpful response. People like you make the net such a fun place to be. Thanks again.

1) The das mechanical keyboard appears not to be a factor. I guess I was just trying to be too thorough.

I installed a Logitech wireless keyboard (used for a long time with no problem) and had the same problem, i.e. Language Bar does not open. That makes sense since the Alt/Shift on either keyboard switches the EN icon to JP icon - BUT - the mouse cannot open the resultant language bar.

2) Just ran sfc /scannow in an admin command prompt -- and ......

Amongst the mountains of text found in the log file, a "find" of "language" appears to indicate an attempt to repair this language pack.

That concurs with my original suspicion, that the Japanese language pack is defective.

Of course I could have tested this by installing another language pack and testing it. I did not. Why? Well, I don't need the Chinese now (and didn't want to increase the number of variables I need to deal with in solving this problem) - and - the language pack "controller" (I assume there is such a thing) might itself be corrupt.

My thought: I would like to reinstall the Japanese language pack. I tried doing so by downloading and installing what I thought was a Japanese IME but turned out to convert my entire system to Japanese - definitely NOT what I wanted.

Any suggestions as to how to reinstall this Japanese IME? Of course, it is no longer an option under "Updates" since technically it has already been installed.

Happy Holidays and Thanks Again!

MeneerWitte

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
:hello:

Kindly I ask your attention.

Take a look here if you like:

http://www.yesjapan.com/install_japanese/

Doesn't the language pack will be shown ad Programs Install & Deinstall ad Show Windows Updates?

If so, set all to the language you prefer and remove the Japanese key board from key board options ad the Configuration screen, shutdown the system and disconnect the Japanese key board and replace it

Restart (Why? You never know, it's allways better.) and deinstall all the software that came with the Japanese key board. You can to be shore to use Revo Uninstaller Pro (one of the many uninstall programs), it will unintall all the files of the program.

Restart and start all over again.

:pt1cable:

If you like and you could deinstall the Windows Japanese update, you could do the System Files Check again and see what happens after the restart again if you had the same repair issues. I know, it takes a while. You don't have to wait for it, do something else in the mean time.

One thing you could do the next time before doing a reinstallation of the OS software, is check the system with a live DVD.
For instants:

Hiren's BootCD 15.2
Updated on 07-11-2012
Homepage: www.hiren.info/bootcd

If you find a link that is broken or something like that (I had), search on the net for the download.

There is an text file that tells you how to update the ISO with an English American key board, you might want to use Y: English American key board.
Do as told and burn it to a disk, use it if you like.

Let me know if it worked :D or :( !

Hopefully I let you known enough & I'll be waiting for your reply!

Good luck and have fun doing it! :D

Best Regards,

MeneerWitte

incurablegeek

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
I really wanted to attach a screenshot, so you could better understand my dilemma. Unfortunately attachments appear not to be permitted on this forum.

I am therefore rather helpless without at least a picture. :pt1cable:

Update: check out the attached screenshot. You can see the Japanese language bar nicely opened at the top.

For some odd reason I can open the IME Pad, with which I can draw Kanji (Chinese Characters) BUT NO OTHER MENUS OPEN!