Window 10 - Black Screen with Grey Flickering at startup.

GideonCahill

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
So here's how it all went down...
This morning when I open the device manager, I saw that the display adapter, Intel HD Graphics 4000 had a yellow exclamation mark on it. When I clicked it, it saids Window had stopped the device from working(code 43). I fixed this problem yesterday with no trouble. I knew the cause of it because I was installing third party themes and somehow the display adapter got the yellow exclamation point.

But this morning was different, I decided to restart my computer when I see the yellow exclamation point thinking it would go away. Oh, I was so wrong. When I restarted, the computer boots up with "Lenovo" and the loading symbol. Then a black screen appears for about a minute then the mouse appears. After a few minutes, a grey screen started flickering everyone 3 seconds or so. When I try to move the mouse, it moves and went back to the center every time the grey screen flickers. I'm fairly positive that this is only the display adapter problems and every other hardwares are working fine and their drivers are up to date. I've search the internet but no problems was like mine, only black screen. The closest I found was graphic card getting uninstalled accidentally.

I've tried going to safe mode with F8 but Window 10 is a nutjob and I can't get anywhere. All there is on the monitor is black screen, then grey flickers. I tried my best to stay calm when fixing the problems, but I'm slowly going to panic mode.

Thanks.

Solution
For "Safe Mode" you should just need the following steps (if accessing on boot up).

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10 ...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode...
For "Safe Mode" you should just need the following steps (if accessing on boot up).

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10 ...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

Now if it is just not showing the information on the screen (and the computer is starting) you might try hooking up an external monitor, prior to turning on the computer, and then trying to access "Safe Mode" again, with the external monitor attached.

If that works, great, you can then work from there to find the full extent of the problem. However, if it doesn't, then you may have to consider reinstalling the system, but only happens as a last resort.

Solution