WINDOWS 10 Auto Repair Failed

Jul 16, 2018
So here is the issue. Running a MSI gt70 dominator pro with windows 10. Was having issues playing a few games lately so I decide it was time to start from scratch and do a factory reset. Attempted this a few times and each time I received an error saying it was unable to complete due to a video card driver issue. I looked this up online and i was told that it could be fixed by rolling back the driver. So I did that and attempted a reset again. This time I received a device_pnp_watchdog error and the blue screen of death. It reset my pc and everything seemed to work. When I tried to restart my pc right after to get into my bios, it went to the preparing automatic repair screen. This loaded for awhile and then bam, blue screen of death with device_pnp_watchdog error. It resets itself and then the MSI load screen freezes. I do a hard reset and now it just alternates from preparing auto repair screen to blue screen of death then a frozen MSI boot screen. What can I do if anything or am I out a few $100 and a trip to the local repair guy?

Solution
You might have to see that repair guy if you're scared of cracking open this expensive laptop. I can't tell if this would be a hard drive issue or a graphics card issue.

My guess is that the graphics card driver was the issue before, but then after a hiccup or something, somehow the hard drive got a bit corrupt, judging by the auto repair thing. If the hard drive is accessible, see if you can put it into another computer and see if it loads properly.

Hillybobilly

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016
You might have to see that repair guy if you're scared of cracking open this expensive laptop. I can't tell if this would be a hard drive issue or a graphics card issue.

My guess is that the graphics card driver was the issue before, but then after a hiccup or something, somehow the hard drive got a bit corrupt, judging by the auto repair thing. If the hard drive is accessible, see if you can put it into another computer and see if it loads properly.

Solution

shmoochie

Prominent
May 10, 2018
You could try resetting your cmos first. It may just have trouble communicating with the gpu since you were rolling back drivers. It also sounds like you could have corrupted your boot configuration data.

Can you get to the command prompt from the advanced options on the automatic repair screen, or does it blue screen too fast?