News Windows 10 May up lets you remove its most annoying feature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2020
Now if only they could release an update that allows you to turn off windows update. and microsoft security essentials. and all the other garbage they have installed on most pre-builds! Ha

Oct 7, 2020
So I do everything and I still get Cortana show up in my Processes under the Task Manager. I've done everything and it still pops up under

C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy

I'm trying to delete the whole folder. Changed permissions and all but it won't delete. Some advice would be really appreciated.

Even when I give my user account full access to the folder and subfolders and try to delete it, it says along the lines "need permission from your user account to delete" when it's exactly the account I'm logged into. What gives?

Ending the process on task manager just makes it come up again as well.

Sep 17, 2020
hmm... i never saw this "girl". there is a reason i use the "win 10 debloater" it's recently a quite comfortable java script (last year it was a script to be executed by commandline) which will disable cortana and other annoying stuff ppl like me don't like to see or don't like to have running in background. but of course "at your own risk" you can find the debloater here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E6OT_QcHaU

Dec 11, 2020
So I do everything and I still get Cortana show up in my Processes under the Task Manager. I've done everything and it still pops up under

C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy

I'm trying to delete the whole folder. Changed permissions and all but it won't delete. Some advice would be really appreciated.

Even when I give my user account full access to the folder and subfolders and try to delete it, it says along the lines "need permission from your user account to delete" when it's exactly the account I'm logged into. What gives?

Ending the process on task manager just makes it come up again as well.

timing is key to kill this one... this is how I did it:

locate the cortana folder - rename it - a 'requester' will pop up , click through it the rename will fail and you will get a 'retry' one... dont cancel it! leave it open - at this point you want your task manager open select the cortana process and kill it and quickly click ok on the retry requester - if your quick enough you will rename the folder before the process has a chance to start back up and cortana will not be able to restart - but bare in mind the string gadgets used for file searches on your windows explorer windows will no longer work but I can live with that rather than have that self corrupting, file system mangling pain in the butt running

Status
Not open for further replies.