Windows 10 playing audio in stereo instead of surround

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haloguy1999

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
So I have a full 5.1 surround speaker system on my PC, and for whatever reason it only plays in stereo. When I do the 'test' thing in windows playback devices it plays the two noises out of the center, front and rear speakers. This would mean all the speakers (including the subwoofer, which outputs sound) works and are plugged in, it's just not playing 5.1. My headset is 7.1 and it has the 'Configure speakers' thing which lets me configure surround sound, so I guess there's something I need to do to enable it for the speakers? Thanks for any help!

Solution

haloguy1999

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013

Yeah, for me I don't have the option to configure my speakers. I wanna get this fixed, because while the speakers are playing surround sound, windows isn't detecting it, and registers it as a stereo set up. When I go into the advanced stuff and test Dolby Digital it plays sound from all speakers, but not a regular test.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

If it plays Dolby Digital when you run a Dolby digital source such as that other sound test, DVD's or the test files I linked, then there is nothing wrong and windows IS detecting it. Otherwise those things wouldn't work. Every motherboard comes with different sound config options. Make sure you have all of your motherboard's sound drivers and config files installed and it will give you (somewhere) every option you need. Windows Sound test is never going to do a 5.1 test only stereo. Its not a native windows feature, its part of the drivers that came with the motherboard.

Solution

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
Surround sound in Windows 10 is partially broken. You can fight it all day long, replace drivers to your heart's content, and it will remain partially broken until Microsoft fixes it, again.

Microsoft has been aware of the problem for well over a year. A fix was actually implemented and worked from build 10586.1 - 10586.3. Since then, the problem has resurfaced and remains unfixed.

The problem affects digital coax and digital optical, so basically anybody running digital surround from their Windows 10 system.

The problem affects sound that is encoded in real-time for things such as games, so DDL (Dolby Digital Live) or DTS Live. The effect is not seen on pre-encoded surround tracks such as would be found on a DVD, Blu Ray, or even the Supported Formats test in Windows sound devices properties panel, so performing those tests is not a guarantee that the system is working entirely as intended.

In games that support surround sound through live encoding, speakers are missing, mapped incorrectly, or you get simple stereo.

This isn't a driver issue. All we can do is be patient and wait for Microsoft to fix this, again.

MatejaHunter

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

yet another "hardware issue" acknowledged by all the hardware and software manufacturers, yet no one does anything about it lol ... but instead of sitting on improperly configured thousands of dollars of hardware waiting endlessly for an update that will probably never come till we buy a new OS ... nope ... a new computer ... nope ... a new AV receiver ... NOPE. instead we could actually share the solution to this easily solvable problem. (which affects all versions of windows not just 10). the issue is digital uncompressed HDMI PCM 5.1 (or greater channel surround) sound vs the more prevalent down-sampled/compressed formats like dolby through stereo. I just got a new AV receiver with multiple hdmi inputs to plug my devices directly into instead of going through the tv and sending a digital optical line down to the receiver. (don't worry you don't need a new AV receiver lol... probably) I was hoping this would end confusing configuration issues--nope. having the same issues I had as my previous setup.

if i'm not mistaken, my understanding is that the uncompressed digital pcm surround sound format is much less common and somewhat new. I have been testing all different kinds of media after getting my 5.1 configuration setup in windows hoping to hear ... anything out of those satellite speakers--nope. there is 1 single thing I found that actually had that pure unfiltered, high quality digital PCM HDMI 5.1 sound--an awesome game called final fantasy xiv online - a realm reborn. and probably a few other new games too. and maybe audio dvds. not sure what else.

for everything else you actually have to set your sound in windows to STEREO. right click sound icon > sounds > playback tab > select 'default device' > click configure. click stereo > next > next > next > finish. YES STEREO. why? because analogue component has been abandoned for the new and far more prevalent digital hdmi so older things are now sent through two channels into a compressed format encoded with multiple channels, which is then decoded in your AV receiver when you hit the dolby/matrix/whatever button. nobody buys sound cards with component outputs, especially since GPUs now output hdmi at increasingly larger bandwidths capable of multiple channels (after some compression). and subsequently, manufacturers are abandoning "higher quality" component inputs on their AV receivers for better and better and more hdmi inputs (my new onkyo has 4 hdmi in and 1 out, all hdcp 2.2 4k ultra hd ready).

so to recap:

if you ever find a 5.1 PCM source LOL... CONFIGURE WINDOWS FOR 5.1 SOUND in default sound device (and for me I have to hit the direct option on remote so it's not adding any weird surround sound filters etc but I think even if I did that the pcm signal would override not sure..)

and for everything else / older games / youtube (aka if you notice sound not coming from your satellite speakers when it says that sh!#'s supposed to be surround)--CONFIGURE WINDOWS FOR STEREO SOUND in default sound device (and then hit the surround/dolby/pro logic/matrix whatever button on your remote to hopefully decode it). GOOD LUCK <3

I hope this begins to answer anyone's questions this has been plaguing me for years and I finally figured it out since my old av receiver burnt out lol. I hope these hardware manufacturers realize it just makes them look stupid when their products fail as advertised yet there are such simple yet elusive software fixes / configuration options that must be selected in order to get the most (or anything) out of thousands of dollars of hardware. it's 2016 make this crap automatic! we shouldn't have to scour forums for hours/days/years to get such common problems working right.

I am sure I have some inaccurate info somewhere in here I have learned more than I ever cared to know about how audio is fed from pc to av receiver to speakers in the past few days getting this crap to work... this was just the solution that worked for me. please feel free to correct me / make this more accurate / add to this. thanks!

p.s. another issue I had was that when I applied an EDID hack to force my passive 3d LG tv to be recognized by NVidia 3d vision, it took away my surround sound formats/options. I finally figured out how to fix this too

original EDID hack (makes 3d work, breaks surround sound):

http://afriendlyfox.com/2013/02/04/massively-improved-nvidia-3d-vision-on-passive-3dtvs-edid-override/

how to create a new EDID with moninfo (working 3d, working surround sound, through 1 hdmi):

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/510807/if-anyone-is-having-trouble-with-their-tv-passing-edid-through-their-receiver-to-nvidia-cards-th/

Myplanec150

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
Hey Halo, just in case this is still an issue with your surround sound system, I had the same issue with my 6.1 and after digging found a solution that might help you. The Realtek HD Audio console was mentioned in the post and my issue was due to this app. For me, on the default format tab, I had changed the format to 24bits/96000Hz (studio quality) for my new headphones. After I switched it back to 16bits/48000HZ (DVD quality) everything was working normally again.
My system is an older Onkyo HT-R510 6.1 receiver. Hope this helps.

cwjonesy

Prominent
Mar 9, 2017
thanks for you response. i see this is almost a year old- im having the same issues, any update on this??

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
You don't specify if your issues are Windows 10 related, and I really can't say if the live surround encoding issues have been fixed in Windows 10, but from how badly Microsoft was dragging their feet on the problem, I would not be even the least surprised if the issue still remained. I have Windows 10 on a few systems, but none that are connected to surround audio, or I would happily test it for you. Windows 10 is too slow and too troublesome compared to what it was supposed to replace to use it on any primary devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.