Question Windows 10 Pro & Home versions & Motherboard change

Mar 3, 2020
My laptop is an HP DV6T-7300.

My motherboard had a faulty HDMI port so I bought a 2nd hand replacement from ebay.

I swapped out the motherboards and got an "activate windows" message. After doing a bit of digging I put the old motherboard back, setup an MS account and attached my license to the new microsoft account.

Then I swapped back the new MB and went to activate Windows 10 but this time it's telling me that the my license is for Win 10 Pro and the new MB is licensed for Win 10 Home. There was a time I would know my options from here but I'm a Linux guy these days and my Windows knowledge is woefully out of date.

Is there a way I can make Win 10 Pro activate with this new MB?
If not, does it matter?

I mean "matter" in the sense that I do very little on my Windows machine, it's mainly there for the rare time I need to use a piece of software that only runs on Windows so if all as Windows 10 does when not activated is not allow me to personalize my account and at some point puts that "Activate Windows" message in the bottom right corner again, I can live with that. I really don't want to give MS more money to make this work given that the Pro version of Windows which I have a license for would presumably be worth more than the Home version so I just don't see why I should be forced into spending money on a new license.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
NIL888 Laptop General Discussion 0
F Laptop General Discussion 0
A Laptop General Discussion 14
M Laptop General Discussion 1
R Laptop General Discussion 3
R Laptop General Discussion 1
T Laptop General Discussion 0
PinnockErnie Laptop General Discussion 2
E Laptop General Discussion 4
H Laptop General Discussion 1
arunsvalluvanad Laptop General Discussion 1