News Windows 10 up could kill your SSD — what you need to know

Aug 27, 2020
Maybe just post the simple fix of going into defrag and "un-choose" the drive in scheduled optimization? Takes 8 seconds.

Aug 27, 2020
I really don't understand why people continue to trust Microsoft products. They are invasive, broken, bloated, anti-productive and now INHERENTLY DESTRUCTIVE. I quit drinking the KoolAid back at 8.0. I'm done with MS. When this laptop dies, it will be replaced with a Linux machine like my others.

Aug 27, 2020
Very interesting article, especially considering that it is wrong!
Windows 10 does not defragment an SSD, it optimizes it by running a TRIM command, which only benefits the life of the SSD.

Aug 27, 2020
Lol it is a tiny bug, with a tiny fix. Sites like these post this stuff to create controversy.

You could have all fixed it by the time you were done reading this.

Aug 28, 2020

The article was correct in 2014. When SSDs were introduced Windows 7 and 8 did not properly manage it and defrag did actually try to defrag the SSDs. You also had to manually activate TRIM is some cases.

This issue has long since been corrected and it was never an issue in Windows 10. You can test this by getting a drive map with a 3rd party defragging software such as Ultradefrag, Piriform, defraggler, O&O, etc. Then run the windows "defrag" which takes maybe 5 or 10 seconds (too quick for an actual defag) - and it actually calls is "Trimmed" in the progress bar then check again.

The "optimize" which Windows 10 does is just a forced TRIM.

Aug 28, 2020
Here is a fix, just run this from an elevated command prompt:
schtasks /Delete /TN \Microsoft\Windows\Defrag\ScheduledDefrag /F

Aug 27, 2020
and lastly this will trim your drive, put it in a .ps1 script.

Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter C -ReTrim -Verbose

Run it once a week. (Change C if needed)

Aug 28, 2020
The article was correct in 2014. When SSDs were introduced Windows 7 and 8 did not properly manage it and defrag did actually try to defrag the SSDs. You also had to manually activate TRIM is some cases.

This issue has long since been corrected and it was never an issue in Windows 10. You can test this by getting a drive map with a 3rd party defragging software such as Ultradefrag, Piriform, defraggler, O&O, etc. Then run the windows "defrag" which takes maybe 5 or 10 seconds (too quick for an actual defag) - and it actually calls is "Trimmed" in the progress bar then check again.

The "optimize" which Windows 10 does is just a forced TRIM.

I don't understand this article, defrag and ssd? Inside of the ssd there are multiple modules like short term memory controller, and more things. Controller should carry out all the necessary function including the balance make it sure the blocks has the same wear leveling, and controller can also give you information about the solid state disk lifespan in percentage (often included), so instead of "defragmenting" the SSD focus to put data where is the best to avoid short life span. This kind of function make possible to keep ssd's alive until it is possible, without wear leveling, the same file would have written in trillion times, while other blocks 1000. So I have no clue what this article about, I don't think MS would make such a mistake, maybe it is not a real defragmenting, just some hindering stupid used background stuff like bitlocker could lead strange issues in SSD's in the past. So the pc has no direct access to the flash memory inside of the SSD , only the controller has, if that can be ruined from windows so strange, trying to defrag a solid state disk has no idea as what operation system think about the storage is not the reality. Trim also useful, but not necessary to run often, as to delete the block is not neccesary in SSD, trim is replace the delete in ssd, in this case operation system you see file deleted, it is just marked as garbage and not written, if you command trim the it will wipe the block, doing it more time would reduce the lifespan of the SSD. But I guess this is pretty hard to reach with normal use, my oldest SSD about 8 years old and working well. I read about them long ago, but i thought nothing to do with SSD as it handle almost everything instead of the operating system did in the past.

Aug 27, 2020
Defrag still happens on certain SSD configurations about once a month if you have shadow copies or snapshots enabled. Trim is part of the operation so it is included in the "Optimize Drives" tool which is still accessible by "defrag" in the start menu.

cvzalez

Commendable
Nov 28, 2017
SSD Manufactors - Hey Microsoft, we want to sell more SSDs!

Microsoft - Ok, humm that seems a great way to make new money, give-me 15%, I will make a bug on the next Windows Update and pretend that I am working on a fix.