News Windows 11 TPM requirements — Microsoft finally clears up confusion

russell_john

Honorable
Mar 25, 2018
The latest BIOS for my Asus x570 motherboard had TPM enabled by default .... Anyone that uses Bitlocker also has TPM enabled

One other thing you got wrong is most motherboards no longer have an actual TPM module but have it built into the UEFI BIOS .... You mainly only need a module if you have an older motherboard or CPU .... A lot of people are running out and buying a TPM module when they don't even need one because they already have it built into the CPU and Motherboard BIOS. For instance my old Gigabyte B350 board had a header for a TPM module but as long as you used a Ryzen 2000 or newer CPU you didn't need it because it's built into the CPU and BIOS

Last edited:

johnnyts

Estimable
Sep 15, 2018
What I don’t like with the way MS is pushing this, is that TPM2 module, is not actually required to run windows. Yes It does come with some extra security benefits, but it is in no way necessary. They could easily let people install it and show a big red notification or something when they do the installation.

if they want to do something radical, better to get rid of the ages old code they carry to support 25 years old applications or start using the same UI language/design for all of the OS and their apps.

gameboie

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2013
I didn't think my computer supported this until the motherboard manufacturer (ASUS) released a list of motherboards that supported it, and how to enable it.

Sep 20, 2021
Actually TPM 2.0 can be installed as a firmware upgrade to some models. But alas, Microsoft also has a supported CPU model list and older ones are not supported even though they would be technically quite capable of running Windows 11.

TRENDING THREADS