News Windows 11's strict requirements are a good thing — here’s why

Jul 3, 2021
It's good thing - maybe, not for regular user definitely, but for some - maybe. Though - most people won't even think about upgrading their machines to just got themselve a new Windows which doesn't have so much features for regular user. And even those dedicated TPM modules will be too much to simply update 10 to 11 (as an example - we can totally see 7th popularity). So even that all my devices can run 11 with no additional setup (I enabled this TPM switch in BIOS and am good to go) - I still can't understand why MS does not give a choice at least as this is new thing for so many people.

Reactions: Inuka Asith
Jul 4, 2021
I am confused. Why is everyone writing as if Windows is not the defacto corporate solution?
Are the firms owning hundreds, thousands of pcs now supposed to just roll in the dumpster truck and upgrade their hardware... Because slicker and cooler? Or is ms going to blackmail them into doing so? Should that be allowed?

One thing comes to mind, did Ms just wake up like 10 days ago and decide on the specs? Why wasn't this made public much sooner? Imagine what a right donkey must an IT manager feel if they upgraded 1500 pcs a year ago to hardware that now won't be supported...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am confused. Why is everyone writing as if Windows is not the defacto corporate solution?
Are the firms owning hundreds, thousands of pcs now supposed to just roll in the dumpster truck and upgrade their hardware... Because slicker and cooler? Or is ms going to blackmail them into doing so? Should that be allowed?

One thing comes to mind, did Ms just wake up like 10 days ago and decide on the specs? Why wasn't this made public much sooner? Imagine what a right donkey must an IT manager feel if they upgraded 1500 pcs a year ago to hardware that now won't be supported...
PCs upgraded a year ago should meet Win 11 requirements. Rigs from 10 years ago...not so much.

Jul 4, 2021
Apparently unless they're custom builds. Not all corporate users are doing accounting on run off the mill rigs.

johnnyts

Estimable
Sep 15, 2018
Although correct that most companies should be ok that upgraded their equipment in the last 2 years, we have to remember though that some may have gone for a route of purchasing an older model which also had an older cpu that was available for sale from the vendors (Lenovo, hp, dell etc).
even 2 weeks ago you could find models with 7th gen CPUs for sale On their sites.
it would not be a stretch to say that a company might need to upgrade again if they need to use win11.

I agree with @KittyGinger . This certainly was not a decision that was made in the past month. This was in the cards for at least a year. MS and the lobby of pc vendors just want to increase pc sales.

Jul 5, 2021
No no no! Consumers do need to complain. Loudly. Whilst the increased security etc. is all well and good, the manner of MS' implementation stinks. MS have been selling own brand devices in the last couple of years that will not be compatible with win11, knowing all along this would be the case. Consumers had no idea until a month ago. What are the ethics of releasing products in the knowledge they will be immanently exluded from your own future updates? This is a precedent that musn't stand, or what message will it send to big tech companies?

Last edited: