Windows 7 Now Officially Named... Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

They better hope it's "lucky" or the whole world might start turning white and shiny *iPuke*

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]RobertMW[/nom]They better hope it's "lucky" or the whole world might start turning white and shiny *iPuke*[/citation]

No, there is another one.

Also, shiny *iPuke* somehow makes me think of Stormtroopers.

G

Probably the minimum hardware requirement is Intel Core i7..

starhoof

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]tsukasa7[/nom]Probably the minimum hardware requirement is Intel Core i7..[/citation] but then they wont get any serious sales... so i doubt it

dieseldre2k

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
*sigh* is it too much to ask for an interesting name? i'm sure with the number of employees they have, they could have come up with 5 good suggestions in the span of a minute.

ah well, at least its just a name. lets hope the OS isnt as lame as its name.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]anon2[/nom]They probably coordinated it with Intel Core i7.[/citation]

Right it couldn't be they just are called it windows 7 because it is the 7th release of windows...

gsteacy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
[citation][nom]dieseldre2k[/nom]*sigh* is it too much to ask for an interesting name? i'm sure with the number of employees they have, they could have come up with 5 good suggestions in the span of a minute.ah well, at least its just a name. lets hope the OS isnt as lame as its name.[/citation]
As I said in the article:

[citation][nom]Article[/nom]Microsoft did not want to detract attention from the fact that Windows 7 is based on the same kernel as Windows Vista vista and Server 2008, which is why they avoided the "aspirational monikers" of current operating systems.[/citation]

"Aspirational monikers" is what Nash called "XP" and "Vista"

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
@ gsteacy,
XP stood for eXPerience and Vista for views or scene...

But a more solid reason for the numbering would be to align themselves with Apple's naming conventions (OS X 10.5)

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]TekkamanRaiden[/nom]That quite amusing. Guess they've given up on any creativity.[/citation]
You couldn't tell just by the writing of the blog entry itself? When it was linked in IRC, two people simultaneously declared in just about the same words "This is a lame blog entry." I suspect this "Mike Nash" is also the brains behind the Gates/Seinfeld ads.

G

Actually this is the 7th release.
win 95 and 98 go together as 98 was just an update
that leaves
me
xp
vista
windows 7

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Actually Actually .....

1. Windows 3.x/Windows NT 3.x
2. Windows 9x/Me
3. Windows NT 4.x
4. Windows 2000
5. Windows XP
6. Windows Vista
7. Windows 7

But depending on what the critera is for the numbering, technically it would start with Windows NT 3.x since it was the first Windows edition that did not sit on top of DOS or needed DOS to be installed.

G

Everyone forgetting windows 1.0 and Windows 2.0?
I know i've tried to, but there are somethings there isn't enough therapy in the world for...

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Personally, I've always been a fan of naming conventions that utilize the year of release. For example, Microsoft Office 2003 or Aspen 2006.5 - it just seems to make sense to me.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I will continue to call it by it's former codename, Vista SP2. :)

Have they decided yet to include the new filesystem? So far it looks like they've tweaked the graphics a tiny bit and toned down the UAC just a bit (yeah!) What are the compelling reason to put down $200+ after I forked over the same amount to get Vista Ultimate?

apoq

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I like it. Sounds a lot more professional and a lot less like the kind of name a marketer would come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.