Solution
Clean install of 8.1. Power users and gamers love 7 because it doesn't force them to see the creature comfort active tiles in the metro desktop that requires all of one click to vanish and you're on the desktop.

Performance wise if your PC is relatively fast you're not going to have any decipherable difference between 7-8.1. Honestly why wouldn't you want to newest OS for free and be aware of the developments being made to improve and change the Windows OS environment.

Like many, I've been running 8 since the beta and its rock solid stable and I kinda like the metro screen at boot. The Metro screen looks pretty cool at boot with the active tiles spanning 3 screens in eyefinity. However, I almost never use any of the metro...

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Clean install of 8.1. Power users and gamers love 7 because it doesn't force them to see the creature comfort active tiles in the metro desktop that requires all of one click to vanish and you're on the desktop.

Performance wise if your PC is relatively fast you're not going to have any decipherable difference between 7-8.1. Honestly why wouldn't you want to newest OS for free and be aware of the developments being made to improve and change the Windows OS environment.

Like many, I've been running 8 since the beta and its rock solid stable and I kinda like the metro screen at boot. The Metro screen looks pretty cool at boot with the active tiles spanning 3 screens in eyefinity. However, I almost never use any of the metro programs. It just doesn't make a lot of sense for multi-monitor multitasking. I guess it's important to note I'm SSD's across the board and my PC is pretty fast so hitting metro for a few seconds doesn't really slow down my access to the desktop. Additionally you can just click the desktop app icon in metro you're planning on using and it will send you to the desktop. Therefore metro doesn't slow you down whatsoever when compared to 7.

Solution

lunyone

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006

I might add that the Windows 8/8.1 doesn't always mean that you can get to the control panel and such with those OS's. There are a lot of other situations that Windows 8/8.1 are not that intuitive to make changes to within the apps, but that is just my thoughts.

Ijack

Distinguished
I think that just reflects unfamiliarity and an unwillingness to learn. There is no problem accessing the Control Panel in 8. In fact there is no problem doing anything that you can do on 7; it's just that 8 lets you do a bit more. Also, it's a bit more stable and more economical with resources.

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

Totally agree! Right click in the left corner gives you far more single click control panel options vs 7's start button.

colorsful

Estimable
Mar 6, 2014
From the compatibility of speaking, Win7 is superior to Win8 from mouse control perspective, Win7 is more suitable for ordinary PC, but Win8 is compatible with the common PC good, Modern applications like playing from the touch screen experience speaking, Win8 is much better than Win7 tell from the function, Win8 is superior to Win7 from the aesthetic sense, Win7 Aero beautiful, Win8 not from the power consumption, Win8 consumption is smaller than Win7 (Win8 in time, the use of laptop batteries use the same method, life is higher than Win7) from the system resources, system resources occupied lower Win8 (run time, CPU, graphics card temperature lower than that of Win7, but the Win8 system to read and write more frequently on the hard disk, SSD consumption fast)