Windows 8.1, 64bit safe to run on HP Compaq 615?

markb323

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015
hey everyone,

So i have a HP Compaq 615 which had windows xp 32bit installed on it. ive managed to install windows 7 ultimate 32 bit and it ran like a dream, now ive gone and installed windows 8.1 pro 64bit which im not 100% if i should have or not but im typing this now with it...palms are a little sweaty.

Should i have done this, it does heat up, i installed it 24hrs ago...about 3 hours usage after install i felt it was that hot i had to power down. the next morning i powered up and went to power managment and done the nesessery steps, i went into bios and my fan is marked as always on.

i use avg pro, malware bytes premium and ccleaner pro, same tools ive used for years

my hp compaq 615 specs...
WINDOWS 8.1
SYSTEM TYPE - x64 based processor.
PROCESSOR - AMD Athlon(tm)X2 Dual Core QL-66
PROCESSOR SPEED - 2.20 GHz
RAM 4.00 GB (3.75 GB usable)
HDD 320 GB

Im no expert on pcs/laptops more an android os dude but i understand instructions...
...anything i should be looking out for here...is this laptop going to have a meltdown lol i just dont want do be doing damage

im also using "Open Hardware Monitor" software to see if i can see anything scary looking, i cannot see any fan info and everything looks fine apart from the temperatures of dual core processors which todays highest was 90% and lowest was 49% moving on average between 60 and 80%.

thanks for any help.

markb323

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015
i upgraded my drivers using driverbooster 2 which seems to be pretty popular...great reviews.

i didnt have win xp & 7 64bit though those were 32bit, i went from win7 ultimate 32bit to win8.1 pro 64bit

do you thing the compaq 615 should be running win8.1 64bit...your opinion?

its been running ok imo but im no expert, im not sure what i should be keeping an eye on all i seem to watch and focus on is the cores temp using open hardware monitor which is stil between 60% and 80%, i noticed also it says "load" "cpu core 1 & 2 have hit 100% quite alot but not constant, is this an issue...if that even makes sence.

also in my sys info it says 3gb ram but only 2.75 is usable...what is this..should i have 3gb ram for this

thanks for your reply

ffg7

Splendid
I don't use 3rd party programs to get latest drivers as I get them right from the chipsets manufacturers' sites not laptop manufacturer's site. check in the bios for hardware monitor or similar to get a truer reading of the temperatures. do you have a can of compressed air or an air compressor or use of 1? you lost .25gb of ram to the onboard video as does not have it's own ram. why are you using 64bit windows when you have less then 4gigs of ram?

markb323

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015
i dont hav canned air but i will get some and give it a clean, i already cleaned the fan area only by removing the keyboard i didnt want to go further, i will check bios again now, i cant say im doing this for anything more than pure curiosity realy, if its not good for my system then il go back to x32.

im on my 3rd day running this setup, since cleaning only the fan area that whole side of my laptop is much cooler...infact i can feel cold air blowing through almoast half of my keyboard, the main hot point is where my trackpad/mouse is. im not sure how much a cooling pad will help but im going to get one anyway plus grease for my cpu which im still looking into what kind to use.

markb323

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015
also today i gave it a little test, i installed VMware and booted up windows 7 ultimate, while having chrome running 5 pages(the verge, android central...ect) and 1 youtube video, open hardware moniter. also my avg, malwarebytes and ccleaner all premium so doing more i suppose with live protection etc. no issues

markb323

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015
i ran all the tests i could see in bios none showed temprature...all tests were fine...no issues.

i was able to get 2gb ram and replace the 1gb in my laptop now giving me 4gb ram (2x2gb)

markb323

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015
is there any sort of task killer i can get, like i said i dont know too much about laptops, more android devices and on smartphones there are task killers, anything like that u would recomend or am i wasting my time with that

ffg7

Splendid
if there is a panel on the bottom of the laptop around the touchpad area then the heat is caused by your hard drive which is in that panel. task killer as in to stop some programs from running in your startup? I use the tools\startup option in ccleaner for that.

markb323

Estimable
Jul 2, 2015
any other views on this, more opinions the better.

anyone think i should not be doing this....should i revert back to x32

also what are the disadvantages of using x32, the only program ive not been able to use on x32 is VMware...i know there will ofcourse be others

thanx