(Windows 8) blue screen on only one monitor

shortugae

Estimable
May 29, 2015
this morning when i started up my computer, after about 10 minutes, one monitor on my dual monitor setup blue screened, however the computer was still running fine on the other monitor, and i could click out of it and continue using it. I tried opening task manager but it said that it was locked by administrator, so i went into regedit.exe and changed the value to zero, thus unlocking it, but whenever the screen blue screens again, it resets. Earlier in the week, i left my computer for about an hour with nothing open and when i came back, my computer had been over run with ad ware and i had no idea how it got there, as i wasn't even at my computer and had nothing open. i tried uninstalling all of it but it kept on reinstalling itself. finally, this morning i installed an antivirus program and it supposedly removed over one hundred threats, but i am still receiving this strange blue screen.

Gentleman Jim

Estimable
Mar 4, 2015
Have you downloaded anything recently? It sounds like there was a trojan in something you downloaded and it caused the malware to open up. As far as the blue screen on the second monitor this may be an issue with drivers or the video itself. Are you using a card or onboard? Either way make sure the drivers are updated and you might also check the cables.

shortugae

Estimable
May 29, 2015

shortugae

Estimable
May 29, 2015
Yah it actually seemed to have resolved itself, after a while it stopped happening even though it was still occurring after scanning for viruses. I hadn't downloaded anything recently, but somehow adware and other things managed to get on. thanks anyway i hope it doesn't happen again later