Windows and Adroid user needs ipad

twcinnh

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Our daughter has an ipad and wants us to get one for 'facetime' with her family (grandson 1 year old now).

I have a Moto x 2nd gen; my wife an old non smart phone, but is looking at IPhones. No tablet.

Seems it will be simpler to get an ipad; used mostly for the video contact; but I have no idea which one; size, etc.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Tom

twcinnh

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I use a desktop and the android phone so it would be nice to have some tablet. I suppose a price around $450; less if possible since I do spend most of my time on the desktop.

My wife does not use the computer at home.

Tom

twcinnh

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
But I want an iPad. That would simplify things for my daughter. What iPad would people recommend?

The budget: $400 ish although less is better. How much do I need to use my home wifi and maybe occassional cell. If necessary I probably can lose the cell.

I'd use Skype, free, runs on iPad, Android, Windows. Once you have it setup it's not harder to use than Facetime. I don't know if I'd spend $400 to avoid someone having an extra icon to use LOL

If you want something cheap, get a used iPad 3 or 4 (test it first), both have the high res "retina" display. 4 may be better as I like the newer connection, less likely to break. Make sure it's not locked as those are pretty much always stolen, if you see someone selling one but they say it's "icloud locked".