Question Windows Boot Manager Not Showing Up In UEFI

Oct 29, 2019
Hi. This is for a desktop, but I didn't see desktop when choosing the category.
I'm the main IT person at my job. There is a lot of back story here, but here it goes:

We just got in 60 new Lenovo ThinkCentre towers. 20 for one site and 40 for another site. When I was in college a few years ago, I used a software called Active Boot Disk (found here). I used it to create images of machines. I have my own personal copy that I paid for and thought it would be great for this project.

I set up one machine from scratch. Installed all the necessary programs and changed the settings. I then used Active Boot Disk to create an image of that one machine and restored it to the other 19 remaining PCs. Then I started deploying them to our users.

Everything went fine until last Friday where I went to turn on one of the machines and it wouldn't boot. It would only go into PXE boot. I can see the SSD in the BIOS, I can boot into Active Boot Disk's file browser and see the files on the drive. When I go to select a boot device, the SSD does not show up. It would normally say UEFI: Windows Boot Manager. At least that's what it says on the working PCs. Since that PC had not been logged into yet by a user, I decided to re-image it, and I thought everything was good.....until today.

One of my co-workers turned on his PC in his office and got the same thing I got on Friday: only booting from network adapter. I went to check it, and sure enough the SSD does not show up in the boot menu.

Here's a short list of what I've done to troubleshoot:
  • turning off secure-boot/UEFI
  • restoring BIOS defaults
  • startup repair
Nothing seems to be working. I think the UEFI partition is damaged some how, but how? These PCs have been booted like 3 times already.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and sorry for the very long post. There was a lot of backstory!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1
W Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 3
S Laptop Tech Support 2
B Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1