Solved! "Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration" error

Status
Not open for further replies.

misiowiec

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
My better half’s Toshiba Portege Z935 was slowing down, and I figured I’d do some spring cleaning by means of a clean install of Windows 10. I’ve done this tons of times before and proceeded to create bootable media on a USB stick using Microsoft’s tool, booting from said stick, removing, recreating and formatting all partitions, and installing Windows. Except that I get the following message at the end of the installation: “Windows could not update the computer's boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed”.

Google tells me this is a message that happens with all versions of Windows, including those before Windows 10. Funny thing is that we used Windows 10 on this laptop for ages without any issues. Any ideas of what I could try?

For the record, the SSD is a Toshiba THNSNS128GMCP mSATA. I don’t have an external enclosure for it, though I can pick one up if need be. I’ve tied a few installs but nothing seems to get me past the error message.

Any ideas?

G

If you navigate all the way to the disk partition part of the installation wizard you can use Shift+F10 to open a command window.

Status
Not open for further replies.