Windows Defender high CPU + Disk usage?

andrew89898

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Hi, My Windows Defender has been using 80+ MBPS of my SSD and between 30%-100% of my i5 4670k consistently recently for the past week. I gathered that it is not normal so I started looking in event viewer, task scheduler, Windows Update, Resource Monitor, I even added a few exceptions in the Windows Defender. Nothing seems to work at the moment and when I google it most problems seem to be with MSE where you can remove then install it again. I am on Windows 8 and cannot do this with Windows Defender. I am certain a scan is not running, and the only thing which stops it is if I disable the app.

Can someone help?

If you need any more info, ask.

Thanks.

Mar 30, 2015
I would disable the app and try a different, free security program. Especially since Defender is one of the least effective of them. See here http:// for the Tom's Hardware report on antimalware software. Personally I would use a free one but that's just me. If you are still having problems, you might have an actual bad patch or piece of malware. In that case it will take a lot more than just disabling Defender. But it should work. If it doesn't, there are other things you can do, but that's the obvious solution.

Mar 30, 2015
I would disable the app and try a different, free security program. Especially since Defender is one of the least effective of them. See here http:// for the Tom's Hardware report on antimalware software. Personally I would use a free one but that's just me. If you are still having problems, you might have an actual bad patch or piece of malware. In that case it will take a lot more than just disabling Defender. But it should work. If it doesn't, there are other things you can do, but that's the obvious solution.

andrew89898

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Hi, Sorry for the bump, but ever since this has been happening I have been using my PC with no antivirus (defender disabled) and I just thought that I should check if there is anything else I could try to get defender back up and working? Or if someone can recommend me a free antivirus where I control when to scan (no auto scans) and is just as lightweight as defender?

Thanks again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cyber_Akuma Antivirus / Security / Privacy 1
E Antivirus / Security / Privacy 1
Me. Opanak Antivirus / Security / Privacy 1
DCB007 Antivirus / Security / Privacy 4
arimich Antivirus / Security / Privacy 1
non hacker Antivirus / Security / Privacy 1
A Antivirus / Security / Privacy 8
J Antivirus / Security / Privacy 6
T Antivirus / Security / Privacy 1
N Antivirus / Security / Privacy 6