Windows Error "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Augmentum

Estimable
Apr 3, 2014
Hello Guys,

I have a Toshiba C855D-S5209 with windows 10. I have been searching on Google and the Microsoft boards trying to find why this error keeps rising. The LAN seems to be working fine but the WLAN is the problem here. The Wi-Fi speeds are greatly reduced to about half of what I'm getting from other devices. Furthermore, while playing online games, I often get disconnected causing a big headache for both my teammates and myself. I have tried numerous times to install the latest WLAN drivers but the error persists. I tried to run the troubleshooting and fixing it through there but the error remains.
I've also tried

1) Start > Run > type "regedit" > hit enter.
2) Locate the following subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
3) Right click and delete the entire Winsock key and the Winsock2 keys.
4) Close regedit.
Now, re-install TCP/IP overtop itself (it's a core component and can't be uninstalled, so we improvise..)
1) Login as admin. In control panel open up, "Network and Sharing Center"
2) Right click "Local Area Connection", and then click "Properties"
3) Under the This Component Uses the Following Items dialog box, click Install
4) Click Protocol, and then click Add
5) Click Have Disk
6) In the Copy Manufacture's files from box, type C:\windows\inf and then click OK.
7) In the list of protocols, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and then click OK. Restart computer.

The problem here is that when I get to step 7 I get the error that says "the program is blocked by group policy".

I really don't know what to do. It seems that there are many people on the microsoft boards that are having the same issues I have and so far, they haven't been doing anything about it.

Thank You guys! I will try to do a couple more things before I take a rest.

kneale2330

Commendable
May 13, 2016
if you use powerline connectivity check they are still working or at least still paired and communicating with each other.I tried all of the above so called solutions with no results so moved on to hardware,swapped out TP-Link 1200Mbps powerLine adapter for an old 500 and Hey Presto my little icon went internet connected-no further action required.
Hope you will be as lucky as me

NicholasBoj

Commendable
May 14, 2016

I've tried this multiple times, and it doesn't work for me, at least..

Grateful4U

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014

Grateful4U

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
I tried this:
Go to Settings -> Network & Internet -> Ethernet (I don't use Wi-Fi so if Wi-Fi is an option, try it) -> Change adapter options -> Right-click the one you are having issues with -> Properties -> Install... -> Protocol -> Install what is there (For me I had one called 'Reliable Multicast Protocol' so I installed that. I haven't found this solution elsewhere so I don't know what it'll be for you.) -> You're done!

on my WiFi and it has worked, at least temporarily. Everything that I've tried that works seems to only last a few hours at most. We shall see about this fix, but thanks for posting it.

I wonder when Microsoft will issue a fix for this? It seems many people have the problem. It seemed to start after a huge Windows update (not this one in May; ? January). I tried System Restore, but it wouldn't work.

Wade_3

Commendable
May 15, 2016
I've been having the same issue for 2 days now, and after doing all sorts of things with settings and menus etc, I thought I'd try disabling the firewall on my AVG anti-virus software, and lo and behold...i'm back online.

Saud__

Commendable
May 24, 2016
You are genius it worked 100% for me am first time writing on ay forum to say you stay blessed thanks a million

Rick_46

Commendable
May 29, 2016
Tried going to your pc manufacturer's website and download most recent available software from there? A monkey can do it, and it worked for this monkey, me. Thanks, Lenovo.

gregbalberan

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
Thank you, Sir.

This method finally worked on my newly upgraded (from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10) desktop pc using ethernet connection.

Tried at least 5 other methods but no success on my unit.

My laptop (from Windows 7 to Windows 10) using wireless connection did not have this protocol problem, fortunately.

More power to you!

Chris and Gary

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016

jpmwolf91

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
If anybody else is having this complete JOKE of a problem and NOTHING seems to help, I may be able to. Last night I spent roughly 3 hours going through every last fix on the internet for this problem and trying each one until I finally found one that worked. The thing is that it took quite extensive research because I have not seen anyone mention in the various community help forums about this program.

This program called WinsockReset did the trick for me. It basically overwrites the winsock registry files with fresh ones that would come from installing a clean copy of whatever Windows version you are using.

You can download this program here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/winsockreset.html

I had to download the .exe on my Kindle and then USB it over to my "network-protocol-less" computer. Thank God it worked. I need my internet.

deitryn

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
I actually just had this issue minutes ago. What always worked for me is to run "netsh winsock reset" in command prompt (make sure command prompt is in elevated mode --> right-click on command prompt and choose runas administrator). No software is needed as this is built into windows xp and above. Running this command requires a reboot, but that typically fixes the missing protocol issue. This resets the winsock catalog back to the default state. The winsock catalog in brief summary bridges applications and tcp/ip services together (which routes your data to and from the network). A messed up winsock catalog cripples your connection to the big beautiful world of data. :)

WesBFL

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016
I have the same issue. Once I upgraded my PC to Win10 today, all my wireless devices are saying limited connectivity. Even on Ethernet with my laptop ito is still giving me that error. What protocols did it mess up in my Router?

Do I factory restore my Router and do that CMD work... What is the command to run as an admn. It's giving me that error that I'm not the admin?

SumOneSaw

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
Hi Guys,

So i'm also for same issue i tried changing registries + installing update and other thing so i came up with static allocating ip address + dns server .

But it is working.. If anyone has a more correct & working Solution please i'm glad to hear.

Thanks