Windows freezing - Nvidia 970m

aschi1231

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
Hi,

recently my laptop (Gigabyte P55W v4) stopped working correctly and was spamming blue screens. Later in time windows kept freezing after a few minutes of use. As I found out later it occurred due to a problem with my GPU (Nvidia GTX 970m). After my finding I turned of dedicated Nvidia graphics in Windows 10 device manager and my laptop was working fine again.

Unfortunately I often depend on graphic intensive applications so I tried to solve my problem by reinstalling Windows 10 with drivers provided by the manufacturer's website to make sure the problem was not on the drivers side, but after half an hour the same issues occurred again. Afterwards I tried installing Windows 7 with the correlated drivers but there I also got freezes and blue screens right after.

Now after these various failures I wanted to ask if my graphics card is broken or if there could be another reason for all of these issues?

Thanks in advance for any comments!

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Thats pretty much pointing to a dead gpu. If it works fine without it then well you answered the question there.