Windows Mobile is Dead; Meet Windows Phone 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
No add-on apps?
I wonder why the carriers like WM devices, is it because they can cripple them easily like my Samsung Epix from ATT (GPS doesn't work unless you buy ATT's map app.)
They will have to at least look like an iphone or they won't have much success. When the contract is up on my WM phone I will go Android or iphone.

aft_lizard01

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Their will be more apps but they will be built up for specific use on the new platform, none of this iPad cr@p.

"Microsoft will also release a software development kit (SDK) to enable network operators and third parties to add new services and applications to the phones. AT&T, in the U.S., and Orange, in France, will be among the first operator partners to develop services specially for the phone."

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=D24DD823-1A64-67EA-E40E911FA158EA2F

rmse17

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
It's too bad they killed off Windows Mobile. I always prefer an OS where I can run multiple things at the same time, and have access to process listings as well as the ability to run simple exe files.
I don't understand what people find in large colorful buttons or labels on the screen. I mean, I see why kids like it in kindergarten, but once you grow up... It's like Windows XP, Vista and 7 UI, it's just too fluffy for a computer. Win 2000 was the last OS to get it right.

I don't believe Windows Mobile is slower than current mobile OS's. It's just that most devices that use it have slower CPUs, or several applications are running at the same time, something that things like iPhone prohibit.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]rmse17[/nom]It's too bad they killed off Windows Mobile. I always prefer an OS where I can run multiple things at the same time, and have access to process listings as well as the ability to run simple exe files. I don't understand what people find in large colorful buttons or labels on the screen. I mean, I see why kids like it in kindergarten, but once you grow up... It's like Windows XP, Vista and 7 UI, it's just too fluffy for a computer. Win 2000 was the last OS to get it right.I don't believe Windows Mobile is slower than current mobile OS's. It's just that most devices that use it have slower CPUs, or several applications are running at the same time, something that things like iPhone prohibit.[/citation]

I hate the old windows mobile. And I will list why. I sold cellphones for years. In a reception limited area.
1. Typically had less reception than say a blackberry or Motorola.
2. resistive touch screen. I dont want to whip out the stylus to do anything, Oh wait I lost the stylus.
3. Stylus lost. hitting the x to close something is now damn near impossible.
4. I hate the way they sync.
5. I dont want to hit send and recieve to get my email. (yes I know you can set it up to do that every so often, but for me that would be every 5 min, and it kills the battery)
6. Poor battery life because I forgot to kill processes.
7. Oh yeah two many steps to do anything. I dont want to try to click on start, programs, scroll through the list. Just give me the programs already.
I am sure there are more, but thats just what I came up with off the top of my head.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
1. Typically had less reception than say a blackberry or Motorola.
2. resistive touch screen. I dont want to whip out the stylus to do anything, Oh wait I lost the stylus.
3. Stylus lost. hitting the x to close something is now damn near impossible.
4. I hate the way they sync.
6. Poor battery life because I forgot to kill processes.
7. Oh yeah too many steps to do anything. I dont want to try to click on start, programs, scroll through the list. Just give me the programs already.

I have a Samsung Epix running WM6.1pro. The thing works well as a phone and seems to get good reception. It also has good battery life. It has a finger mouse that takes the place of using a stylus, but it comes with a stylus if you want to use it. It also has a button that terminates apps so I never have to click on the "X". The good stuff ends there though.

It is VERY slow, bringing up websites even with 3G takes MINUTES, not seconds. The GPS doesn't work unless you buy the expensive app from ATT. The voice dialing doesn't work. It does work as well as a PDA as all of my dedicated PocketPC's of the past, but getting to apps through the menu system is very clunky compared to current phone technology. I was in a meeting with a real estate agent. Someone wanted to do a square foot calculation. He pulled out his iphone and completed the calculation before I could hit start and go down 2 more levels of menus and find the calculator. An update to WM6.5 has been promised for my phone for about 5 months now, still hasn't arrived. I rarely bother to sync it. It connected to my Vista notebook just fine and after much effort I was able to get it to tether to the internet. I have not been able to get it to connect to my Win7 notebook in any fashion.

G

Good for MS and their latest innovation. This sounds and looks somewhat promising. I'll wait for Tom's to post "Windows Phone 7 infringes on patents".

It does seem a lot more streamlined that WM6.1, etc... However, I'm rather curious about the XP phone...personally, I think there is a huge market for phones (in the future as technology advances) running full versions of Windows. Never the less, this is a huge improvement.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]Nothing died, they just changed the branding and the UI.To be precise, winmo 6.x was based on Windows CE 5.2 kernel whilst Win-phone 7 will use Windows Embedded CE 6.0 kernel. The kernel is based on new technology and many components of the OS have been moved into kernel space, but it is reasonable to expect substantial compatibility with older applications. Won't be released for ages yet though, so we'll find out more about what exactly will and won't work on the new OS in the coming months.[/citation]

does wikipedia say anything else about it lol

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
[citation][nom]darkknight22[/nom]thank god windows mobile is dead. i have never seen a more sluggish mobile OS. i cant wait to try this one out.[/citation]

Haha :).. DOS still on each new Microsoft OS release includes on Windows 7. Love it sometimes. Nothing will die, it will just less bugs with more enhancement.

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
as long as it is fast and snappy and maybe multitasking then I could see it succeeding and probably a browser with flash

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Windows Mobile is obviously not for everybody. It's not for ordinary Joes. If you want your hand held, go buy a freakin' iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.