Windows not booting, unable to access BIOS/boot menu

KuzunohaXXII

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Currently attempting to help a friend who owns a Sager Notebook bought in 2013 with Windows 8 installed on it. He doesn't know which specific line of Sager Notebook he has and is unable to access the system properties and as such isn't able to give me the full list of specs, so sadly the full amount of information I'm able to provide is limited. He doesn't have access to an electronic receipt or order confirmation as a friend used their Xotic account to set up the system for him, and they are no longer in contact with eachother.

In 2015 he upgraded to 8.1 after purchasing a disc for it. The system worked fine after this and he still has the disc.

A couple months ago he did the Windows 10 upgrade, however the upgrade wasn't exactly successful. For some reason, even though he had a 64-bit version of 8.1 installed, the version of Windows 10 that he had after the upgrade was 32-bit. The wireless features of his laptop also took a blow somehow, with download/upload speeds and connections dropping; this problem did not exist before the upgrade, and no other wireless devices in the house seemed to have this issue.

His computer took an overall hit to performance, as many programs and games loaded slower, and overall response time for things like opening folders had gone down.

While discussing these issues with me, he neglected to mention he had the disc for 8.1, so not seeing any other options he proceeded with doing a factory reset via the Windows 10 feature.

The factory reset did not appear to be working; it was stuck at 2% and did not proceed from there even after several hours had passed. Then, when he moved his laptop, the power cable became disconnected and the system shut down.

Now his computer will not boot at all. It shows the Sager logo with loading screen, then goes to blank and shuts down, only to immediately restart again and show the logo, before shutting down again on a loop. While the logo is showing, pressing the F keys does nothing; he is unable to access the BIOS or boot menus.

At this point I'm not exactly sure what would help. I was thinking taking out the hard drive and formatting it on another computer, then popping it back into the laptop to reinstall 8.1 might help, but I'm pretty concerned about the fact that he can't even access the BIOS or boot menus. I don't see how a failed factory reset could possibly damage the motherboard but then again I'm not entirely sure what it all entails.

If there's anything anyone might be able to do to help with this information, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm posting on behalf of my friend as he does not understand computers very well. We're also in two different countries so I do not have the laptop in front of me.

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug it from it's AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If this will not work proceed with reseating the RAM's, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- If it will result with the same problem continue by removing the HDD off the laptop then boot it up and see if it will stay on a black screen with an error saying missing boot devices or something like that.
- If it gets pass the loop problem without the HDD that could only mean that the HDD is faulty.
- Put the HDD back in and see if the same problem will persist or not.
- If it does go on the loop problem again that means the HDD is already faulty.
- Do take the HDD again then reinstall Windows on it using a different PC.