Windows not detecting low battery - Laptop cuts out when capacity is low

TECHKID1998

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Hi,

I'm running a Clevo custom laptop that I've had for 3 years now with various upgrades including a new battery. The battery is about 2 and a half years old and I have a feeling it's starting to show it's age.

Recently, I've experienced the issue of Windows 10 not recognising when the battery is running low on juice. It will cut out (screen goes off, spin down of disks is audible) and won't power back on until an AC adapter is plugged in.

The battery has always been a bit flaky, showing incorrect battery percentage readings e.g. Windows says it is at 100% capacity for hours.

I've tried taking the battery out, holding down the power button to reset and reinstalled the battery without any luck. I've tried cycling the battery from 100 to 0 hoping Windows would re-calibrate itself also without any luck. Also replaced the CMOS battery and the issue is still present.

Looking at the readings shown in BatteryInfoView it shows something quite bizarre. Screencap here. The battery is meant to be rated at 5600mAh but the 'Current Capacity Value' in BatteryInfoView seems to think otherwise. I notice that once the voltage drops below 9v that's the point at which it will cut out.

I'm no battery expert, but does it sound like it's time to replace the battery again?

Cheers!
Ethan