Windows Phone 7.1 ''Mango'' Due This Autumn

Status
Not open for further replies.

soldierras

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
I think with this update Windows Phone will be a real competitor to Android and IOS, unless they fail to deliver on the features. Does anybody know what Android and IOS will be bringing to the table this fall? I hope this kicks off a feature escalation war between the three companies. More competition, more delicious gadget Pr0n.

wishmaster12

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I love my windows phone 7, but the only thing i do not like is that you cannot use it as a thumb drive, and there is no file explorer like explorer in windows os, but they can make a app for that, or even put it in the mango update

fwaits

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Most likely Skype will be a standalone app as shown at MIX11 earlier this year, then updated to be more integrated in an update post-Mango I would think. I think the Skype deal is too fresh to get it into Mango which is nearly complete at this point.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
If it takes until this fall they will yet again be behind......by then gingerbread should be common in new phones with others starting to receive android 2.4 (icecream sandwich)

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]soldierras[/nom]I think with this update Windows Phone will be a real competitor to Android and IOS, unless they fail to deliver on the features. Does anybody know what Android and IOS will be bringing to the table this fall? I hope this kicks off a feature escalation war between the three companies. More competition, more delicious gadget Pr0n.[/citation]

Apple will introduce a curved screen for iPhone 5...now that's innovation.

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
The one thing that it is doing is really bringing a lot of what the iOS and Android users have gotten through apps into the core OS. The seamless integration of multiple chat and social networks into 1 area is pretty slick, the Bing integration is exactly what a search system should be, and overall there are 500 said features which should include things as custom ringtones so no worries there. Microsoft is playing catchup, but instead of fighting the others head on with an App war, they really are making the Core OS as powerful and polished as possible with an integration of the apps to make everything flow and seamless based on the task you are working to accomplish. That on top of the amazing apps that will now be made with the Mango SDK should make for a nice boost to the already great selection we have already.

Still Loving my HTC Arrive.

G

[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]Apple will introduce a curved screen for iPhone 5...now that's innovation.[/citation]

Thats to coincide with them bringing back their first generation crt imacs! Curved is the new black.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Awhile ago(just before they teamed up with nokia actually) I predicted MS was going to take over the smart phone market someday. I still think they will. But I think someday isn't here just yet. I was expecting a huge and totally new WP8 to come out alongside windows8, xbox720, new improved kinect tech for all microsoft products, and windows for tablets. If I was king of microsoft I would've pushed for this and I would've tried to time them all to come out simultaneously.

It appears now that isn't going to happen. Too bad.

G

Microsoft only have 6 days left until the end of Autumn. They better get the Windows Phone 7.1 update out soon.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
If they want to add a really useful feature it should be localization. At the moment you can only pick from a handful of languages, most of which aren't a users common tongue in europe. Most scandinavians that can easily afford a smartphone would be held back by the english language used in it. A dictionary in the local language would be a good start, but a localized ui would be the optimal feature for a bigger spread of the system.

Until it can speak the local language, I don't see how I can recommend a windows phone to someone above 30. Many who grew up 'before the internet' aren't sufficiently proficient in english to use a windows phone.

Anyhow. Looking forward to the update. Running apps in the background's a longed for feature.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]Apple will introduce a curved screen for iPhone 5...now that's innovation.[/citation]
That is so f**king funny I spat my drink out

MS announces 500 OS upgrades
Apple announces curved glass
LOLZ

Status
Not open for further replies.