Windows Phone 7 is Xbox Live Arcade Ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
This is a "we might be able to" and not a "we are doing" sort of statement from Microsoft.

Now if the ported games allow me to download for free if I own the same Xbox 360 Arcade game then I'd be quiet pleased with this feature.

As it stands it's a rapid development method for ensure lots of competition to the iPhone and Android App Stores.

Frag Mortuus

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
That would be awesome for new games like Risk: Factions or other board-game type applications. But, for games like Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix, it will be pretty unlikely.

The potential is awesome, though!

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
This is very likely. But it does all hinge on how they adapt controls. I don't know how the control scheme for WP7 will be, but I do know from experience that just by changing compile options, you can take a game made with XNA that runs on Windows and turn it into a game that runs on XBox. Definitely not too good to be true, in my opinion.

alphadark

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]zoltek[/nom]why would you honestly want to play BF 1943 on a phone?[/citation]

Um, just because. My motorola Droid hangs up with all the trashware on the Marketplace. This will be the first time I get a new phone before my contract is up. Sorry google some QC would of made me stay, but everytime I listen to slacker radio I get through about 4 songs then need to reboot my phone.... Lame

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]sidran32[/nom]This is very likely. But it does all hinge on how they adapt controls. I don't know how the control scheme for WP7 will be, but I do know from experience that just by changing compile options, you can take a game made with XNA that runs on Windows and turn it into a game that runs on XBox. Definitely not too good to be true, in my opinion.[/citation]

I agree. In theory, the games will work in WP7 with few extra codes. However it does not mean the interface/UI of the game can just jump from XBOX gamepad to touch screen control flawless.
While it will be easier than completely rewriting the game code, the programers still need to work on the UI to make it touchscreen friendly.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I hope Futuremark releases a Benchmark for Windows Mobile 7, that would be the coolest thing to show how good the games could look on a phone!

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Yaa... the dirty little secret we're not being told is that Microsoft has basically dumped development support for their Zune HD "beta testers", sacrificing a good portion of their loyal fan base in order to accelerate the development of their Windows Phone 7 OS and hardware platform. Much of the UI is merely an evolution of the one found in the Zune HD, but the apps and games created and ported to this new WP7 platform using XNA 4.0 will not be compatible with the Zune HD. And yes, that includes the recently announced Xbox Live Arcade games.

It really sucks, but I think Microsoft has made a huge mistake in overlooking the Zune HD like this, a device that isn't even a year old. I can't imagine what would've happened if similar actions were taken against the Moto Droid (people would probably think twice before buying the Droid 2).

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
FPS + Touchscreen controls = Fail. Maybe if I could carry around my a bluetooth controller to play, but that would be larger than the phone and kind of defeats the purpose.

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]FPS + Touchscreen controls = Fail. Maybe if I could carry around my a bluetooth controller to play, but that would be larger than the phone and kind of defeats the purpose.[/citation]
I don't know, they could potentially do it well. Maybe by making areas at the bottom corners of the screen touch controls for the two joysticks, though as far as the rest of the buttons would go, that is a good question. :p

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]sidran32[/nom]I don't know, they could potentially do it well. Maybe by making areas at the bottom corners of the screen touch controls for the two joysticks, though as far as the rest of the buttons would go, that is a good question.[/citation]
If they put R and L buttons (or multifunction buttons that could be used like them) to act as triggers it could work. It would be kind of weird to have buttons located on the top and bottom on the right hand side of the phone though.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]zaznet[/nom]Now if the ported games allow me to download for free if I own the same Xbox 360 Arcade game then I'd be quiet pleased with this feature.[/citation]I think that's probably up to the developer, but if they do this on even SOME of the titles... Hell. Yes. I'm thinking Castle Crashers and MTG would be nice to have on the go.
[citation][nom]Frag Mortuus[/nom]That would be awesome for new games like Risk: Factions or other board-game type applications. But, for games like Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix, it will be pretty unlikely. The potential is awesome, though![/citation]Actually the hardware will be pretty beast, and at the resolution of the screen, it should be able to run just about anything. Maybe with some reduced settings in some cases, but everything should look and run great. XNA will take care of a lot of the heavy lifting in the porting process, too.
[citation][nom]sidran32[/nom]This is very likely. But it does all hinge on how they adapt controls.[/citation]Well, I would hope that at least one phone manufacturer releases a game-centric phone with a slide out "gamepad" and a couple of trigger buttons. But there's always the possibility of lock-on external controllers, that would transform your phone to and from a handheld gaming device in a snap. Lots of options aside from strictly touchscreen controls.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]Yaa... the dirty little secret we're not being told is that Microsoft has basically dumped development support for their Zune HD "beta testers", sacrificing a good portion of their loyal fan base in order to accelerate the development of their Windows Phone 7 OS and hardware platform. Much of the UI is merely an evolution of the one found in the Zune HD, but the apps and games created and ported to this new WP7 platform using XNA 4.0 will not be compatible with the Zune HD. And yes, that includes the recently announced Xbox Live Arcade games. It really sucks, but I think Microsoft has made a huge mistake in overlooking the Zune HD like this, a device that isn't even a year old. I can't imagine what would've happened if similar actions were taken against the Moto Droid (people would probably think twice before buying the Droid 2).[/citation]

Zune HD and other "portable media players" have become obsolete. Smartphones can handle audio, HD Video, games, and many other things easily. Some of them can even make phone calls. Microsoft saw the quickly increasing smartphone market and changed focus. Most MP3/MP4 players have not been getting support as of late, they aren't useful anymore. There's still a market for cheap and durable MP3 players, as many people don't want to risk breaking an expensive phone while working/jogging, but the higher end models are being phased out. People want one device that can do everything for them now, not several that serve a special function.

Status
Not open for further replies.