Windows Phone 7 to Get NFC Support Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
so who will be to first to figure out how to hack this to gather NFC data walkin down to road in new york or some other densely populated city using some kind sniffing app

slacka

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
SPAM is out of hand on this site. It's so sad for a "technology" site, doesn't even have decent CAPATCH and email verification to minimize it.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I can see this going badly. Certain credit and finance companies going with Google, others with Apple and others with Microsoft. There needs to be an open NFC standard that all people can sign up to and use so there's no fragmentation based on what device you're using.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Meh they've had this over here (South Korea) for several years now. You can pay for just about anything by swiping your cell phone. Or heck you can pay for things by giving them your cell number, they type it into a system and in a minute you get an e-receipt that you must verify by punching in your PIN code.

The only way this works if its based on either an open standard, or if all the companies get together and agree on a method to implement so that their all cross compatible. Otherwise its a useless feature.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
10 years ago I said it would be great if I could use my mobile phone to do everything including pay for stuff at the checkout.

People are now bitching about it.

They will sort out the security and the implementation and this will all be hunky-dory, mKay?

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Griffolion[/nom]I can see this going badly. Certain credit and finance companies going with Google, others with Apple and others with Microsoft. There needs to be an open NFC standard that all people can sign up to and use so there's no fragmentation based on what device you're using.[/citation]

That is what this is. NFC is just the tech that is used to store credit card data and send it short range to a receiving device. They will all be able to do the same thing. Not a big deal.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bobusboy[/nom]I will never use it, i resent using my debit card[/citation]
um why? no really give me one legit reason why, besides to save money. =P

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
see now this tech would be nice to have enabled/disabled quickly by a simple physical button. So you dont have to open any program at the register etc. plop out the phone, push the small button and wave over the receiver. if its an always on app, people will have receivers hacked and brush into people in close quarters trying to get a quick pay day. Also if its an application, its going to take just as long for the user to pull out the phone, unlock it and get to the program link/shortcut/widget and open it as it would to simply pull out their wallet. now i am a fan of the credit card with multiple accounts attached to it

G

Bank: oh look we have a request for a transaction from an unregistered NFC point of sales device for the sum of 100k lets approve it shall we.....

the data is encrypted to high heaven and can only be processed by a transaction house like visa/mastercard, most point of sales devices have unique ID and are registered (NFC or otherwise), the ability to grab some data from a NFC device doesn't translate to instant money, the money still resides in your accounts not the phone, NFC just makes it more convenient to authorize the transaction, which just like a credit card transaction if found to be fraudulent can be rescinded. The best you can do is probably attempt to clone the data and try to carry out a transaction with the cloned data and that hoping that it's not a time based algorithm that tied to the unique IMEI number of the cell phone which probably have to be live and connected to a network

forgot NFC phones, if it was that easy to just bump into folks and get money they would have been doing with the NFC credit cards, this is not new tech, it's just an upgrade to old tech to make it more convenient

Status
Not open for further replies.