Windows Phone Marketing Boss Leaves After Five Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Go! Go! Only an idiot would buy a phone labeled "Windows"

For anybody who can read German.

An European mobile carrier says basically that Nokia Lumia would sell much easier if it were Android. :D

G

Windows Phone is excellent. It really is. However, it's just too late for Microsoft to try to get into this game when two heavyweight companies (Google and Apple) are already the market leaders, and their deployed operating systems (i.e. Android and iOS) are also already excellent.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I plan on buying an unlocked Windows 8 phone.

Although.... I do believe that Windows 8 could EASILY smoke Apple and Android if it only did one simple thing.....

Screw the carriers and sell the phone directly to the public unlocked and for the REAL price such a phone should cost. In other words... 150-200 bucks unlocked with no contract.

You have to be a complete idiot to still believe that a phone costs 600 dollars when a tablet that does almost the same thing costs 150 bucks (with a bigger screen). And yeah ok the tablet does not have the phone hardware, but phone hardware is cheap. There are phones sold for 20 bucks.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]notsouthernshark[/nom]@southernshark:1. Try Ting (ting.com)2. The $20 phones are $20 because they're subsidized. You're making comparisons between completely different things, yet acknowledging that they're different.3. The "phone hardware" does add significant cost, as does qualification.4. You still need to pay a carrier. Might as well have them subsidize the price of the phone.[/citation]

No they are not subsidized. I NEVER buy a phone with a contract. I buy 20 dollar phones when in the USA. Right now I am using a 50 dollar with a Qwerty keyboard.... again no contract.

These phones do not really cost 600 dollars. The carriers and phone makers are in bed with each other on this issue and tell you that to convince you so that you will eagerly sign a contract. The whole price is a scam, for which you pay a premium price.

If you believe that you can make a tablet for 200 bucks but that the phone chip costs 400 dollars more, then you are a brain dead idiot.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
All I know is that I'll never buy a Windows phone, just like I will never buy an Xbox. Heck, I even stay away from Microsoft keyboards, mice, and Microsoft products in general.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]I plan on buying an unlocked Windows 8 phone.Although.... I do believe that Windows 8 could EASILY smoke Apple and Android if it only did one simple thing.....Screw the carriers and sell the phone directly to the public unlocked and for the REAL price such a phone should cost. In other words... 150-200 bucks unlocked with no contract.You have to be a complete idiot to still believe that a phone costs 600 dollars when a tablet that does almost the same thing costs 150 bucks (with a bigger screen). And yeah ok the tablet does not have the phone hardware, but phone hardware is cheap. There are phones sold for 20 bucks.[/citation]

Talk about being clueless about the hardware in smartphones now.

There are plenty of smartphones that are faster then those cheap tablets.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]I plan on buying an unlocked Windows 8 phone.Although.... I do believe that Windows 8 could EASILY smoke Apple and Android if it only did one simple thing.....Screw the carriers and sell the phone directly to the public unlocked and for the REAL price such a phone should cost. In other words... 150-200 bucks unlocked with no contract.You have to be a complete idiot to still believe that a phone costs 600 dollars when a tablet that does almost the same thing costs 150 bucks (with a bigger screen). And yeah ok the tablet does not have the phone hardware, but phone hardware is cheap. There are phones sold for 20 bucks.[/citation]

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CFUQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tomsguide.com%2Fus%2FNokia-Lumia-900-Parts-Manufacture-Cost-Free%2Cnews-14775.html&ei=fmKPT7njJMXSgQeLqJGABQ&usg=AFQjCNHXQz50ZOiIl_2dUsByBZCWIQSijQ&sig2=ob8ExLX8npZ7AtyJEjXA6g

The Lumia 900's parts ONLY cost $210, so Nokia will definitely not sell these for $200, even $300 is low.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Hopefully a new guy will do a better job of marketing, WP is a pretty good OS, people just need to use it and see how well works, every friend I have with an Android phone has used my WP and loves it and intend to switch when their contracts come up

bjlindquist

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Maybe the new guy will re-instate Bing support for WP6.5. I'm not upgrading before my contract is up so unless they reverse that decision, I'll migrate to my free, company provided, Android. I prefer WP but I'm tired of MS forcing me to upgrade.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]bjlindquist[/nom]Maybe the new guy will re-instate Bing support for WP6.5. I'm not upgrading before my contract is up so unless they reverse that decision, I'll migrate to my free, company provided, Android. I prefer WP but I'm tired of MS forcing me to upgrade.[/citation]WM 6.5 (it's not called WP) is a dead platform, sorry. But it still should function fine, even if it doesn't recieve updates. I've got an Omnia II around here somewhere that still functions, and it really wasn't a bad phone if you know your way around a PC. But I can understand why they dropped it, they need to concentrate on WP7. Anyway, what's this about no Bing support for WM 6.5? Are you saying that the Bing app no longer functions? It worked on the Omnia II not so long ago.

Have you tried getting the latest version from m.bing.com/download/ - it might say that it can't detect your phone or that it isn't officially supported in your region, but it offers an option to download anyway. Worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS