Windows Phone TV Ad is a Little Confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
It's a good marketing ploy. Maybe the author needs to get his head out of his Apple phone for a few hours to understand Windows Phone can mean any phone with Windows on it. It seems AT&T just got a new one. Looks like it has a bigger screen than the Apple Phone too.

Icylobster

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I actually like this commercial, very amusing. It also didn't confuse me. However I think having the phone at AT&T may not be the best choice but hey, what do I know.

G

"Windows Phone" is a horrible name for an OS. AT&T is further confusing it since the sentence "new Windows Phone at AT&T" DOES imply that there is a product (available through AT&T) named "WIndows Phone", unless of course you already know that "Windows Phone" is actually software and not a phone.

But, of course, bringing up this OBVIOUS fact must mean that the author is an iPhone-lover...

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I agree that it is confusing, and the commercial is pretty retarded. Only reason I understand it is because I read this article and I'm familiar with those icons. The average user isn't though. In any case, it's a stupid, ineffective commercial.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]I agree that it is confusing, and the commercial is pretty retarded. Only reason I understand it is because I read this article and I'm familiar with those icons. The average user isn't though. In any case, it's a stupid, ineffective commercial.[/citation]

If users aren't familiar with those icons, then they don't need these phones.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
At the end of the ad it clearly states in print its the new HTC Pure. No confusion here. I guess like most Americans we don't read the fine print and then cry afoul later.

jochamus

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
@Maxor127

Sorry but do you expect people who buy a Windows based smartphone to not know how the Internet Explorer icon looks, the twitter icon or the Microsoft Word icon? I mean people who are genuinely interested in this phone will know it's functions and I suspect that people with a smartphone will have a PC too, which means the majority of people who watch this add will be watching it from a Windows PC or will own a Windows PC, and will know what the icon's are about, Microsoft doesn't expect Apple shoppers to buy their phone.

I think the add is one of the best Windows have brought out, the Windows 7 commercial, that was very vague though. This was nice and clear -the man simply wants all his programs with him and the phone makes it possible. Can't be much clearer in my opinion.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I agree, very confusing for an uninformed user. People in Icon suits that they might not recognize, followed by "new windows Phone at AT&T" without naming the product, which strongly suggests to them that the phone in the commercial is: "Windows Phone".

This was an incredibly ineffective commercial. Give me the job of whomever the stupid asshole who made it. I could do better obliterated drunk.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
The announcement recently (before the ads) of a "windows phone" confused me. I've used Windows-based PDA's for quite awhile and now have a Samsung Epix WM phone. I liked the concept at first but I think it isn't as good when you try to integrate a phone into it. Granted I have WM6.1 Pro but I don't think the user interface compares well to the fruitphone. There are a lot of apps available for WM but that pales in comparison to the fruitphone app store.

I was in a meeting and somebody asked for a quick monthly rental calculation. The guy with the iphone found the icon on his screen, cranked up the app and did the calculation quicker than I could even find the calculator on my WM phone.

Not that I like the fruitphone but I'm not sure if windows-based phones can be competitive again.

aapocketz

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
I don't get it. There was another commercial where the guy says i'm a PC, and he is clearly lying. He is obviously human. More misinformation from M$FT!

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
i have a link right on my screen for me calculator :) i run a touch pro 2... and have to say i love it. htc's skinning job shows what windows mobile can do when someone cares.

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Confusing ad? No.

Stupid, insipid, and off target ad? Yes.

I understand the value of having some of those items available while mobile, but why in the world would I want to take the bloated, slow, and non-compliant browser called IE with me?

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
People miss the point of the article. It is confusing from a business standpoint because there isn't a Microsoft developed handheld.

The ad itself makes sense that it keeps a lot of the windows functionality you leave at home.

It still won't break me away from my iPhone 3GS though, lol. The last WM phone I had was a paperweight.

G

When I was first introduced to the commercial on tv I wasn't watching the screen (who watches commercials anymore anyway?) and when they said "windows phone, now at AT&T: it DID confuse me. My first thought was: "Zune phone?!" but then later on I figured it out.

For those shouting: "OMG, stuwpid newbz not reading fine print" If they had put "Windows Phones" as in multiple phones, aka different phones it would have been much clearer. You wouldn't call a phone based on a java platform a Java Phone would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.