Windows takes 20hours for installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ateeth

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
Hi all,

I had windows8 in my PC but due to some problems that crashed, so i formatted my 'C' dive and tried to install win10 but installing win10 is taking nearly 20hours
1) Bootoption to selection of drive where windows is to be installed -> 1hour
2) Getting files ready for installation -> 15hours
3) Installing updates and remaining -> around 2 to 3hours

even after waiting patiently my windows dosent load, it will showup windows logo and show a blank screen later.
I tried both usb(win10) and DVD(win8), and optical device takes much longer time

My pc specs:
Make: DELL
intel i5 3rd gen
6GB RAM
1TB SATA harddisk
2GB Graphic

I have tried in both Boots, legacy and UEFI, both didnt work

My iso is also not corrupt becase i got it with my laptop and it works fine when i tried it in other pc.

Also my harddisk is working fine because I used ubuntu live os and every thing was working fine(all files are present and are accessable)

SATAoperation is set to 'ACHI'only.

Please help me to solve this , thanks in advance

Solution

What laptop do you have? Depending on the model, it may or may not be easy to pull the drive out and pop it in a system.

If it is easy to pull out, just put it in another computer as a non boot drive, boot up the computer and scan the drive. There are adapters you can get to run the HDD from your laptop through a USB connection, but I've found those to not always be reliable when doing disk diagnostics.

azaran

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
It really sounds like a serious issue with your hard drive for an install to go wonky like that. When you said you had Ubuntu live installed, do you mean you installed Ubuntu on to your system or you were running their live disk OS? Its an important distinction since the Live OS runs off removable media like DVD/USB drives and wouldn't have any interaction with your HDD. Have you done any disk diagnostics to see if there was a problem with the HDD?

Ateeth

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017

Hi Paul,

I tried using both, win 10 using flash drive took around 20hours
win 8 using dvd took around 24 hours

Ateeth

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017

Hi azaran,

I ran ubuntu live os without installing it using flash drive, but my HDD had 4 partitions and i am able to access all the partitions and also the files in it, so thought its working fine. I havent done any disk diagnostics as there is no os to start my pc

Ateeth

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017

Hi skynetRising,

Can you please help in checking the health of HDD using in another working pc.
Just tell the procedure to do that, as i am not aware of it

azaran

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010

Depending on the make of your drive, the manufacture may have a bootable utility. What is your HDD?

Also Ubuntu has built in disk utilities, so those could be used.

Ultimate Boot CD is another option, as it has a bunch of disk utilities.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

If you have the option of yanking the drive and putting it in another system for testing, that will give you access to running tools inside of a windows OS instead of a live environment.

azaran

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010

What laptop do you have? Depending on the model, it may or may not be easy to pull the drive out and pop it in a system.

If it is easy to pull out, just put it in another computer as a non boot drive, boot up the computer and scan the drive. There are adapters you can get to run the HDD from your laptop through a USB connection, but I've found those to not always be reliable when doing disk diagnostics.

Solution

Ateeth

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017

My laptop is DELL inspiron 3537, thanks i will try as you said

Status
Not open for further replies.