Windows XP Finally Falls Below 50% Market Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Finally... XP had a good run, but it's way pass time to let it go. Not exactly too thrilled about DX9 still being used in games while we already have DX11 either. Also still waiting for the day where 32bit OS will be gone and x64 would be the new native.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Completely agree...it was a good OS for a long time. Sometimes it is tough to go back to using it after using Windows 7.

Completely agree aznguy...it'll be a good day when 64 bit is the norm.

JackFrost860

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
The transition from XP to Vista/7 (aka v5 to v6.0/6.1) was more significant than the previous upgrades because it included the change from 32bit to 64bit for the main stream. It should get easier from v6 to v7 or is that v6.2?

G

XP was a well designed OS indeed. I only bought Win7, cause when I bought my comp, there was no win7 yet, but upgrades were promised for Vista users. So I bought a Vista Business, so I could downgrade at anytime to WinXP, and when Win7 came out, they shipped me the Pro version for free. It was a really good deal. 3 "windowses" for the price of one.

Otherwise I'd still be an XP user up to this day. Win8 looks like MS is aiming too much for the touchscreens and XBOX gaming, so I guess I'll give it a pass, and maybe give Ubuntu one more shot. Once popular games make their way on Linux, Windows is doomed.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I don't think that this data reflects situation properly because it includes non-PC OS'. Just take a look at your own household OS' and devices. For example 5 years ago I had 2 PC's with XP and one smartphone and one dumb phone. Now I have 2 PC's with Win7, 3 smartphones and one tablet. Win7 does collect all users that XP and Vista lose, but there is also considerable number of new devices which are out of reach for Win7 that are included in this data. More telling would be comparation of only desktop OS', because from these data could be drawn conclusion that people are throwing PCs away because they don't want to switch to Win7.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]aznguy0028[/nom]Finally... XP had a good run, but it's way pass time to let it go. Not exactly too thrilled about DX9 still being used in games while we already have DX11 either. Also still waiting for the day where 32bit OS will be gone and x64 would be the new native.[/citation]
Because current generation consoles (PS3 and 360) have outdated graphics and because they usually port them to PC. A lot of people still have older video cards that can still pack a punch (relative to these consoles), so why not develop the games, in such a way, as to reach the broadest population as possible? Especially if it could mean more sales. Think about it.

[citation][nom]hetneo[/nom]Win7 does collect all users that XP and Vista lose, but there is also considerable number of new devices which are out of reach for Win7 that are included in this data. More telling would be comparation of only desktop OS', because from these data could be drawn conclusion that people are throwing PCs away because they don't want to switch to Win7.[/citation]
I didn't. I switched from XP to Arch Linux when I first saw how the Windows 7 interface looked (like straight up KDE). Motherboard says it was designed for Windows 7 but works very well on Linux. So I don't care about 7. For the very few Windows-only programs I use (including iTunes for syncing my iPod), I use VirtualBox with TinyXP installed inside a 2 GB .vdi file. Just right for what I need.

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
MS forces people to buy a new unwanted product by artificially creating problems of their old OS. Is there really any technical limitation in XP that prevents it from using dx-10, dx-11 or new versions of IE or it's just a marketing decision? Also, is there any noticable benefit of new direct-x or IE over the last versions? I remember actually seeing new effects in games games for DX7, DX8 that starting surpassing glide & opengl. But these latest versions? Can you see notable difference in all the comparison videos or high-res screens trying to spot difference in Crysis running on DX9 vs DX10. Or how about the new Crysis-2 ultra comparisons which are now pushing for DX11?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]s997863[/nom]MS forces people to buy a new unwanted product by artificially creating problems of their old OS. Is there really any technical limitation in XP that prevents it from using dx-10, dx-11 or new versions of IE or it's just a marketing decision? Also, is there any noticable benefit of new direct-x or IE over the last versions? I remember actually seeing new effects in games games for DX7, DX8 that starting surpassing glide & opengl. But these latest versions? Can you see notable difference in all the comparison videos or high-res screens trying to spot difference in Crysis running on DX9 vs DX10. Or how about the new Crysis-2 ultra comparisons which are now pushing for DX11?[/citation]
No one forces you to buy anything, but let's put it terms of brass tacks shall we?

People invest in a PC which must cost a pretty penny because they are playing Crysis 2 in DX11, so at the very least they have lashed out hundreds on the graphics card alone and the CPU and RAM must be fairly beefy too.

So to balk at $100 on an OS over a 10 year period takes a special kind of scrooge-minded, tight-fisted, penny-pinching, mean-spiritedness that beggars belief.

If you are prepared to spend over $1000 on a PC you can at least get a new OS at least once a decade.

hangfirew8

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
Windows XP was the most porous operating system in history, a cut down, primped up version of Windows 2000 with less security and more fragile drivers due to Ring 0 protection being eliminated.

Good riddance.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]hetneo[/nom]More telling would be comparation of only desktop OS', because from these data could be drawn conclusion that people are throwing PCs away because they don't want to switch to Win7.[/citation]

It would be great since it would be a fair comparason but why not do it the regular Toms (Steve's?) Hardware way - See what car brand is dominant but also add cycles into it especially since people usually own both to skew the results!

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
it's a natural course in a product''s lifecycle. eventually everything will be phased out, replaced by newer versions or just fade away. so xp market share decline is expected, not really news worthy.

JohnA

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]hangfirew8[/nom]Windows XP was the most porous operating system in history, a cut down, primped up version of Windows 2000 with less security and more fragile drivers due to Ring 0 protection being eliminated. Good riddance.[/citation]

How quickly they forget Windows 98, or FAT. XP was a huge leap over the user unfriendly 2000, which was a pimped up NT.

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Finally - MS needs to pull the plug on support for this antique once and for all. It was an okay OS ten years ago, I hate being forced into using this POS on downgraded windows 7-licensed machines just because of incompetent IT purchasing decisions made years ago.

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Good riddance. 7 is so much better than XP I don't understand why there is so much resistance to the transition. XP was great 10 years ago, but not so much anymore. Vista was better (mostly) and 7 is the clear winner.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
There is absolutely no excuse for anyone to be running XP anymore. If you need XP, get Windows 7 Professional and download Windows XP Mode. Enough said.

G

...besides a good bunch of still great games, that won't work under Windows 7 - even in XP Mode!

Status
Not open for further replies.