Wiped my laptop HDD, cont get any OS to work properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

WishWizard

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016
One of my mother's friend's deceased a couple months ago, and I was in charge of finding if there was any information on a laptop from 2000. It was empty, running a clean install of XP, but wifi wasnt working, even with the wifi dongle that works on my desktop, so I decided to make a bootable USB of win 10, but I clicket on repair, and for some reason thought that pressing on wipe was a good idea (always do, you never think its a bad one until its too late), and the informatician that passed me the win 7 install is gone for a while (it was my dad's)
The hardware is pretty bad, so I was thinking of using it as a browsing machine on my room desk, with linux (Ubutunu). It doesnt have a cd drive, but even fter using the compressor for usb it says I'm missing the GUI. Sorry for the long-winded post, I've been looking around and havent been finding anything. Thanks!

A 16 yr old laptop will run XP at best, and if you want to run Linux on it, why are you bothering with Windows 7 or 10? Just make a Linux disk and install that. Start at the beginning, your post is all over the place so we can't sort out what you did or are doing. Using what compressor for USB, what is that? Do you mean creating a USB disk setup of Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.