wireless card swap lenovo y510p

tevergreen1

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
Hi I have had lenovo y510p for a year now. I have been doing fine with it. I the wireless card is shut but I have mannagged but lately I have been suffering really bad Internet drops. I was thinking of replacing the wireless card but I heard lenovo white listed it. I have no clue what that means. And I have no clue what I should buy and to install it. Can anyone help me find a good wireless card that is compatable and how to set it up correctly? Thank you so much to dor who took their time to help :)

Solution
Yes. Lenovo has a "Whitelist" in their BIOS that dictates which cards are approved for the device and can be used. You can find a list of approved devices on Lenovo's website. You can also search the internet and track down a BIOS mod to remove the whitelist all together. It's easy. I did this with my y580 and installed an intel 7260ac. Running great now.

malynch7

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
Yes. Lenovo has a "Whitelist" in their BIOS that dictates which cards are approved for the device and can be used. You can find a list of approved devices on Lenovo's website. You can also search the internet and track down a BIOS mod to remove the whitelist all together. It's easy. I did this with my y580 and installed an intel 7260ac. Running great now.

Solution