Wireless Gaming Headsets - which do I choose?

willgl

Estimable
Apr 22, 2015
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a wireless headset to use on my computer mostly for VOIP calls. Yeah I know, gaming headset? Well, I've tried a range of different headsets and found that headsets designed specifically for this use give terrible sound quality when doing anything else on the computer. I'd like a headset that's good for gaming, listening to music, movies, and it's main job which will be speaking with my clients using some CRM software with integrated VOIP.

Bluetooth headsets don't work for me - I don't like the technology with Windows. So that gets rid of most of my options. Then there are DECT headphones - awful sound quality but very reliable and 'just work.'

So I think my best option is looking at some gaming headsets as they're designed for games so have good sound quality, but also a microphone to talk into and there are some good non bluetooth options.

I've done my research online and found it seems the best on the market are:

The Turtlebeach i60

The Astro A50

and the SteelSeries H.

The one thing I couldn't find online, was the views of someone who had tested all 3!

For me in terms of design and integration the SteelSeries looks like the best option - I've been very close to clicking the buy button on a few occasions, but then reading through the reviews it seems that the Turtlebeach provides better sound quality, but looks bloody awful. Then the Astro A50 keeps popping up too.

I wondered if any of your guys owned or had tested these headphones and had any thoughts?

Solution
Hi willgl,

I recently purchased the Steelseries H Wireless and it is probably one of the best purchases I have made in terms of pc components/peripherals. The sound quality is extremely impressive, and the built in mic is also good quality. I've never tried a pair of Astros but I've heard them to be the 'Dre Beats' of the headset market, in a bad way.

If you've got any other questions feel free to ask.

frantic6

Estimable
Apr 20, 2015
Hi willgl,

I recently purchased the Steelseries H Wireless and it is probably one of the best purchases I have made in terms of pc components/peripherals. The sound quality is extremely impressive, and the built in mic is also good quality. I've never tried a pair of Astros but I've heard them to be the 'Dre Beats' of the headset market, in a bad way.

If you've got any other questions feel free to ask.

Solution

willgl

Estimable
Apr 22, 2015
Hey Frantic, thanks for your input :) one of my main concerns is the quality of the mic as I'll be talking to people about quite technical projects. It's a bit of a misfit really - I'll be using a gaming headset for VOIP business calls, listening to music, watching movies on Netflix. I spend my whole day/life sat at my desk talking to people, web browsing and watching movies whilst working on another laptop! What do you think of the mic quality? Any drop outs or is the connection really solid? Also, if you sat with the headset on for 4-5 hours at a time do you think you'd still be comfortable?

If you think I'm making the right choice I'll go for it as I've read so many reviews now I don't think there is much more research I can do to determine the correct product!

frantic6

Estimable
Apr 20, 2015
As the microphone is not the main concern on a gaming headset, it doesn't quite compare the level of quality you would expect from a desktop mic, however it is more than adequate for VOIP calls and similar. I've never once had a dropout, even when wearing the headset around my house, and I believe its said to have the best/lowest latency. Also, it actively switches between frequencies to avoid interference, although I expect you've done this research already.

As for comfort, it has to be the most comfortable headset I've used. The ear cups are large, and surrounded by an incredibly soft foam and high-quality leather like material. The same foam is found on the headband also, and I'm sure you'd have no problems wearing it for many hours.