Wireless Headphone WITHOUT Muting Speakers

OrwellLutz

Honorable
May 11, 2013
Illiterate I am on these subjects.

I wear hearing aids but they do no good in hearing dialog ....

so I'd like to use wireless headphones that I can adjust to my hearing ---

but am told I will need "multiple audio out" in order to have both wireless headphones and speakers active.

I cannot begin to understand this. There seem to be thousands of audio jacks on my Onkyo HT-SR800 (Receiver HT-R550), but I am told that the receiver only has speaker wire out ????

What the H do I need ???

in baby talk please ........

your receiver has a 1/4 headphone jack on the front. look in your manual to see if the headphone jack acts independent of the speakers or not. some models are and some models are not. if they play then you could use a 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter and plug a 3.5mm wireless headphone transmitter which comes with the headphones into this.

from photos i've seen your receiver does not have a zone2 option. if you did then you could turn this on and use it for your headphones without affecting the speakers. since it appears you dont have this option i wont go into detail. i think the "multiple audio out" is another way of saying zone2 or multi-zone.

you should be able to run a splitter on the speaker wire going out to the speakers and get sound to play in the headphones but this brings a new problem into play: you will only hear sound that is playing on that particular channel. ie if you tap into the center you will hear most of the dialog but may miss effects and other sounds and if you tap into the left and right channels you may miss most of the dialog but will hear effect sounds. what you could do is move your center speaker closer to you or split the signal and use a small wired or wireless speaker next to you. not very ideal i know.

another option would be changing your equalizer settings on your receiver to boost dialog levels so that voices appear louder than background sound. you can then turn up the volume on your receiver and forgo getting a headset.

the reason you want both to play at once i take it is that you have a spouse or other person in the room watching tv with you so you can not just turn up the volume or use just a headset.