Wireless Headphones picking up static

thewonderspud

Estimable
May 15, 2015
So my wireless headphones came in today. Thomson WHP3311BK-UK Wireless Headphones, for reference.

And they pick up static, interference... There's a monitor, TV, 2 computers, stereo, wall speakers, phone base and broadband router nearby. (By nearby I mean in the room, other than the phone base and broadband router in the next room)

It picks up a lot of interference. And I can't move where I work so I can't get away from all the technology around me.

My wireless headset before was great audio. But the wire went over my keyboard which was extremely frustrating. And if it was under the desk it would go on my legs and on my arm and was equally as frustating.

My new wireless headphones get rid of the wire frustration, they are a lot more comfy and they block out loads of sound. But the static is basically unbearable for me.

It's set on channel 2 but channels 1 and 3 just turn sound off completely.

Can I fix this interference or will I have to choose between two frustrations? Help me

AdviserKulikov

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
And this is why people don't like wireless devices, there's so much electrical noise in our world that they just can't compete with wired solutions.

The short answer is no, you're going to have to be frustrated with downsides no matter what.

You can improve things if you don't move around too much by shielding the headphones from directions other than your broadcast point.

Try channel 1 or 3 and unplug/plug back in the wireless receiver and turn the headphones off and back on. They may just need to sync again at the new channel before they transmit sound.

Static is an inevitable bane of analog wireless transmissions. If you can't get rid of it, try going digital with bluetooth headphones. You'll probably need to buy a bluetooth adapter for your desktop, but those are dirt cheap.

thewonderspud

Estimable
May 15, 2015
UPDATE: Ironic. Was trying to find a way to use wired headphones without being irritated. Managed to do so by putting the wire from the PC under my chair and around so that the wire was inbetween my arm and armpit. Worked pretty well until I got up out of my chair and snapped the wire. Using my backup now. So frustrating!

AdviserKulikov

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015

Have you considered that you might be a menace to mechanical devices? In all seriousness, they do make headphones without cords, that have a jack. You can then get an audio cord with a spool or something to assist in managing the cable. Or you could go digital with bluetooth audio instead.

thewonderspud

Estimable
May 15, 2015

So... for example...
Would these include a jack?

And I take it there would be no interference as such?

AdviserKulikov

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015

Digital wireless does not suffer from background noise, it either works or doesn't.

Those headphones look like they would work effectively enough for somebody who isn't an audiophile. They seem to have both bluetooth and wired connection options.