Wireless headset - Switch between TV and PC without leaving the sofa

20salmon

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
Hey!

I am looking for some wireless headphones to go with my newly built gaming HTPC. I don't have cable/satellite, and my TV has a pretty good built in freeview system for watching channels via an antenna cable. I am going to want to watch TV with wireless headphones without turning the computer on, so I am wondering if there is an easy way for me to change the audio source on the headphones without unplugging any cables. (I don't have a receiver or speakers, the walls are too thin for it to be worth the money)

Advice/suggestions for what headphones to get would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
Hi
Since you say it is a HTPC then I assume you are using the TV as a monitor and I assume you are connecting via an HDMI cable.
HDMI cables carry audio so if you plug your headphones into the TV you will hear whatever the TV is switched to.

boju

Distinguished
a receiver would make things a lot easier for what you want but i get you must live in units and noise is not wanted. You'll need some sort of audio split box with remote i guess to give you an idea otherwise y splitting audio cables might be another alternative.

What connections is used for the audio?

20salmon

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

I haven't bought a pair of wireless headphones yet, but I want one that uses USB rather than analog. My TV does have a USB port, but I am unsure of whether it would be possible to use it for audio.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
Since you say it is a HTPC then I assume you are using the TV as a monitor and I assume you are connecting via an HDMI cable.
HDMI cables carry audio so if you plug your headphones into the TV you will hear whatever the TV is switched to.

Solution

20salmon

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

If the TV lets me use USB as audio output, and the sound quality won't suffer from this when playing games/music from the PC then this could be a solution. Not a perfect one because I will sometimes be using a monitor when the TV is occupied.

I guess what I am looking for is something a long the lines of a cheap mini-receiver which can be controlled with the same remote as the HTPC

boju

Distinguished
i have a set of Phillips wireless headphones using analog and is quite good. Might be something to consider.

Connect pc to tv via hdmi and you'll be able to do what you want through the tv's headphone jack.

Usb im not sure about either, sorry.

makkem

Distinguished
You wont be able to use the TV usb for this purpose it is designed for usb drives to display photos on screen.
For instance where will you get audio drivers for your TV and how will you get them on.
HDMI is digital so will give equal quality to usb audio.The amount of signal degredation from the analogue link between the TV and transmitter will be so low as to be completely inaudible.

20salmon

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

Thank you for this answer. If I plug the headset directly into the TV, I would need to unplug it to use the TV speakers when I'm not alone, correct? This is the problem I want to work around. I want to swap between TV speakers, and headphones without spending big bucks on a receiver. If only there was a way to mod my HTPC into serving as a receiver.

boju

Distinguished
maybe, without the speakers you could try something like this

sony_strdh540.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DH540-Channel-Receiver-Black/dp/B00BHC7ZT4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373642957&sr=8-2&keywords=av+receiver

for $280 isnt bad.

20salmon

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013

I plan on getting 5.1 / 7.1 headphones.

TV: Toshiba 40BV801B (link)
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-F2A85XM-HD3 AMD A85X (link)

Pj Flynn

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
From what I understand is he want a systems that allows him to use wireless headphones when he alone and over-rides the tv speakers so sounds is via his headphones only but when he has friends ro family around he want to be able to use the tv speakers as normal but doesn't want the hassle of unplugging and replugging wireless receiver cos if this is the case then he need 2 or 4 channel auto audio selector such as http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373751455&sr=1-1&keywords=auto+audio+2+channels+selector which enable him to switch easily between the 2. But does not says what connector his TV and wireless shall have.