Wiring a Subwoofer

Holly2711

Estimable
Mar 6, 2014
Help! I just bought an Energy 5.1 speaker set with subwoofer. Being ignorant, I had an electrician run speaker wire through the walls to all speakers. Now I see the subwoofer is expecting an RCA cable to the Sony AVR subwoofer output. Can I use two RCA connectors from Radio Shack to terminate both ends of the speaker wire? I'd connect the positive to the center plug potions for both ends. Would this work?

Solution

Dorosh

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
I wouldn't do that as speaker outputs can push a lot of power through that speaker wire, where as the RCA's are much more controlled. Turning things up could damage internal components.

I just noticed you said on both ends you'd do this. Power would no longer be a problem, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal.
I would cut the wires of the RCA's and tie it into the speaker wires. No more 'positive to the center' issues to worry about.

Holly2711

Estimable
Mar 6, 2014
Thanks, Dorosh!

Let me make sure that I fully understand your reply. I plan to terminate both ends of the speaker wire with an RCA connector - in effect, I want to turn the speaker wire into an RCA cable. You mentioned that I need not worry about "positive to the center issues" so do I correctly understand that polarity is not an issue? I would feel better knowing that I didn't mix up the wires but it doesn't matter? Thanks, again for your help.

Solution