Wiring speakers directly to a TV monitor.

erfoster

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015
I have a Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK monitor from 2006 that I use with a cable box. The monitor does not have a tuner; the cable box serves that function. For sound, I run cables from the cable box to an A/V receiver, and then out to the speakers.

I want to add a Roku Express. That bypasses the cable box, so I can't use the audio from that. I have an HDMI port on the monitor for input of both video and audio from the Roku. But I have NO AUDIO OUT PORTS on the monitor. Instead, the monitor has speaker clips on each side in the back. The Panasonic's speakers (which I don't have) apparently were intended to be wired directly to these clips.

So here's my question: I'd like to wire ELAC B6 Debut speakers directly to these clips. The manual for this monitor says the Panasonic speakers intended for it have 16 ohm impedance. The ELAC speakers have 6 ohm impedance.

Will this work?

Solution
The amp in the monitor may be damaged by 6 ohm speakers. Also are not likely to be powerful enough or sound as good as using the receiver especially if you are using digital from the cable box to the receiver. Assuming that your receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs I can think of two way to make it work for you.
1. Use an HDMI input selector with audio extraction. Connect both the cable box and Roku to the inputs. Connect the video out of the switch to the TV and connect the audio out to the receiver.
2. Connect a speaker to line level converter to the TV speaker outputs. Connect that to an analog input on your receiver.
The amp in the monitor may be damaged by 6 ohm speakers. Also are not likely to be powerful enough or sound as good as using the receiver especially if you are using digital from the cable box to the receiver. Assuming that your receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs I can think of two way to make it work for you.
1. Use an HDMI input selector with audio extraction. Connect both the cable box and Roku to the inputs. Connect the video out of the switch to the TV and connect the audio out to the receiver.
2. Connect a speaker to line level converter to the TV speaker outputs. Connect that to an analog input on your receiver.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS