wlan antennas requirments

Feb 20, 2018
So im using a laptop with only 1 antenna. (Its a 2017 HP model) The one antenna is connected to a b/g/n wlan card. HP says that there is a couple cards that are compatible with my laptop. The one that I want to use is a • Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.2 Combo Adapter part# 863934-855 This card has 2 slots for antennas but HP says that even with only 1 antenna, i will still be able to connect to both the 2.4ghz signal and the 5g signal, along with the blue tooth. If i'm able to do all of this with only a single antenna, then what is the second antenna for?

Solution
Just like routers with multiple antenna, they help with dead spots. So if your WLAN card has 2 connectors and your laptop case has 2 antenna leads, go ahead use them, but if your laptop case has a single antenna lead, well, that's what you have to work with, it would be beyond hassle to try to retrofit a second antenna lead, would have to disassemble the screen panel.
Just like routers with multiple antenna, they help with dead spots. So if your WLAN card has 2 connectors and your laptop case has 2 antenna leads, go ahead use them, but if your laptop case has a single antenna lead, well, that's what you have to work with, it would be beyond hassle to try to retrofit a second antenna lead, would have to disassemble the screen panel.

Solution