Wonder Paper Shows Antibacterial Promise

Status
Not open for further replies.

adikos

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
awesome! my smelly feet cannot wait.

will this perhaps fix yellow underarm stains too?

this is innovation i can get behind!

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
What do you mean by "an atom thick"....Im pretty sure an atom is too small to make paper 1 atom thick....

Anyways sounds interesting, cant wait to see it in use :)

kenwheeler77

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Grammar police arriving! "Surpress" isn't in the Scrabble dictionary. Also, that 2nd paragraph beginning needs some work (The researchers created built the sheets...). :)

On a serious note, would technology like this have prevented the recent Tylenol recall due to a "moldy smell"?

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]bpeglow[/nom]Then 10 years after mainstream success it's discovered to cause cancer.[/citation]

what worries me is that we are introducing all this nano technology and dont know the effects on humans....its so small we must be breathing more and more nano particles and it has to go somewhere....

zygomorph

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Are graphene and carbon nanotubes really the lasers and radiation of yesteryear, mircle devices that people keep swearing new uses for?

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Seeing this article made me think about the Zalman article. Imagine using a "sheet" of graphene as opposed to thermal paste/thermal pads. =)

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Arethel[/nom]Seeing this article made me think about the Zalman article. Imagine using a "sheet" of graphene as opposed to thermal paste/thermal pads. =)[/citation]
Doesn't work very well, the graphene doesn't conduct heat well on the z-axis, similar to boron nitride and graphite (to make TIMs with those you usually rely on conglomerates so the x-y-z planes are randomly oriented giving you an overall thermal conductivity). We use it some of our thermal materials but we orient it so the heat travels from the device to the sink along the x-y axis. But, to do that we have to align/form the sheets in place and that's very expensive, we typically use it for high end, high cost projects where copper's thermal conductivity is not sufficient. Another problem is its non-conforming, meaning it doesn't fill in the micro-structure of the heat sink and chip surface (like greases and pads do), so even though your thermal conductivity is high, your interfacial resistance is through the roof (in the case where we use pyrolytic graphite or graphene systems we still need a grease or pad to provide a good interface between the device and sink). And finally, it's not electrically isolating, which may or may not be a problem depending on the device.

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]Doesn't work very well, the graphene doesn't conduct heat well on the z-axis, similar to boron nitride and graphite (to make TIMs with those you usually rely on conglomerates so the x-y-z planes are randomly oriented giving you an overall thermal conductivity). We use it some of our thermal materials but we orient it so the heat travels from the device to the sink along the x-y axis. But, to do that we have to align/form the sheets in place and that's very expensive, we typically use it for high end, high cost projects where copper's thermal conductivity is not sufficient. Another problem is its non-conforming, meaning it doesn't fill in the micro-structure of the heat sink and chip surface (like greases and pads do), so even though your thermal conductivity is high, your interfacial resistance is through the roof (in the case where we use pyrolytic graphite or graphene systems we still need a grease or pad to provide a good interface between the device and sink). And finally, it's not electrically isolating, which may or may not be a problem depending on the device.[/citation]

Oh thank you!

Yea I was wondering if this was the case looking at the structure of graphene. So then it does only act on a plane...

Say do you know if carbon coating is possible as a post machining process? At my last company, we used to send out a lot of parts to get coated for use as sputtering targets and for hot isostatic press.

Status
Not open for further replies.