TheTemest

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
I installed Word 2007 approx 5 years ago on Windows 7. HDD is 451GB/281GB free. When I now click on a .docx file it will take upwards of 15-20 seconds for the file to open. If I simply launch Word it takes approx 10 seconds to load. I'm very aware that programs in general may be slower to load as time passes with the addition of programs/apps, but this is beyond acceptable behavior. My computer IQ is pretty darn good, but short of uninstalling/re-installing I'm at a loss for a solution. Ideas? Thanks in advance.

BTW.....I've run every maintenance utility on my machine (Defrag, M-bytes, CCleaner, etc)

Solution
(1) Twenty to thirty additional fonts are, for all purposes, nigh-negligible -- not unless you're running an ancient 386, which obviously isn't the case :). So, I see no problems here.

(2) When attempting to defrag the HD, the best solution is to boot into safe mode. From there, you can use your third party app to do the job. This is typically the fastest way to get things accomplished because a lot of AVs and other software won't load and interfere with he process.

(3) Try not to run as a full administrator. Yes, the popups are a nuisance, but they're there for a reason -- the "real" ("genuine") popups, I mean. Truly, it all goes back to the false assurance we get in our complacence. We end up thinking that we're smart enough to know...

itmoba

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015

(i.) Loading time is affected by various factors, including those associated with your examples. For instance, if you have a lot of custom/additional fonts installed, then, it too will affect startup time.

(ii.) The defrag that ships with Windows (all versions) is total crap, period. Personally, I think UltraDefrag is a better solution -- it's not some panacea, nor is it the best, so results may vary.

(iii.) Are you using Sysinternals to help assess the problem? It is bar-none, one of the best suites available (free, too, with no stinky freemium flatus). Russinovich is a Windows kernel god -- in fact, he knows more about the kernel than some of the people who wrote it (kind of funny). I suggest posting a screenshot from the Sysinternals' version of "Process Explorer." Feel free to redact some of the information if you consider it to be a security risk. This will definitely give me/others a better idea of what you're working with.

(iv.) Use HijackThis and post the logs. Again, redact information if you consider it to be a security risk.

(v.) Does the load time differ when opening other files? For example, does it take longer to load ".doc" files than ".docx"? Have you tried alternatives, like, LibreOffice? If so, does it behave with similar dismal performance?

(vi.) Are you sure you're opening ".docx" files? Do you have the "always show file extensions" option set to true? Have you verified the magic cookie / magic number of the files you've opened? (For example, jpeg files begin with \0xFF\D8).

(vi.) Are you using multiple AVs with real-time protection? Running multiple concurrent instances of AVs tends to negatively affect performance (and cause problems when a race condition develops). (Note: you should be running, at least, one in real-time, not including the one that ships with Windows, which doesn't count as an AV in any respect). I say "at least one" in the off-chance that you're running multiple guest VMs too, each of which should have their own AVs running.

(vii.) Are you running as a "super user" (admin)? If so, there's a greater possibility that you may have inadvertently/unintentionally installed malware. Don't run as an administrator.

TheTemest

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

itmoba - Thanks so much for the in-depth reply and I apologize for the late response. Feedback from your list is above. Here's a Process Explorer screenshot you requested:
9uXkR3.jpg

Here's the Hijackthis log you requested:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 2:04:59 AM, on 8/16/2015
Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v10.0 (10.00.9200.17229)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\Antivirus\avgnt.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\vpnui.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\FirstClass\fcc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Process Explorer.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files (x86)\ImageShack Uploader\ImageShackUploader.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\DllHost.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = Preserve
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=255141
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=255141
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: SkypeIEPluginBHO - {AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\Antivirus\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Agent for Windows] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\vpnui.exe" -minimized
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Skype Click to Call settings - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
O18 - Protocol: skypec2c - {91774881-D725-4E58-B298-07617B9B86A8} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe Flash Player Update Service (AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Avira Scheduler (AntiVirSchedulerService) - Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG - C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\Antivirus\sched.exe
O23 - Service: Avira Real-Time Protection (AntiVirService) - Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG - C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\Antivirus\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: Avira Web Protection (AntiVirWebService) - Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG - C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\Antivirus\avwebg7.exe
O23 - Service: Avira Service Host (Avira.ServiceHost) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\Launcher\Avira.ServiceHost.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: MBAMService - Malwarebytes Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Skype Updater (SkypeUpdate) - Skype Technologies - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Updater\Updater.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Agent (vpnagent) - Cisco Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\vpnagent.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 7284 bytes

itmoba

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
(1) Twenty to thirty additional fonts are, for all purposes, nigh-negligible -- not unless you're running an ancient 386, which obviously isn't the case :). So, I see no problems here.

(2) When attempting to defrag the HD, the best solution is to boot into safe mode. From there, you can use your third party app to do the job. This is typically the fastest way to get things accomplished because a lot of AVs and other software won't load and interfere with he process.

(3) Try not to run as a full administrator. Yes, the popups are a nuisance, but they're there for a reason -- the "real" ("genuine") popups, I mean. Truly, it all goes back to the false assurance we get in our complacence. We end up thinking that we're smart enough to know that we won't inadvertently #@!% things up. The problem with this is that some operations simply cannot be reversed or are nigh-impossible to do within our normal capacity. It's not just about accidentally installing malware; rather, it's about not accidentally deleting files, changing permissions, sharing materials we'd like to keep private, and a milieu of other bungling mistakes that can occur at any time. No one is capable of not screwing things up, and even the Windows god Russinovich and the Linux god Torvalds have stated repeatedly in books, interviews, and conferences to not run as an administrator (by default) because $*&% happens.

(4) Whilst not alarming, per se, I see a few processes running/installed that are troubling. This includes, but is not limited to,

<--------------

■ C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\vpnui.exe

■ O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll

■ O23 - Service: Adobe Flash Player Update Service (AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe

■ O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)

■ O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)

■ O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)

■ O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)

-------------->

(5) Viruses and other malware can persist (remain) in system restore points. At glance, given the number of issues, I definitely recommend using a live-distribution to do a thorough check of the system. I suggest 'AVG Rescue CD', 'Hiren's Boot CD', and 'Avira Rescue CD.' I'm aware that there're many others out there, so I've only given a small list; I'm not endorsing these products, nor am I saying that they're "the best" -- it's just a small list, but a helpful start. Hopefully this'll help you out. Make sure to scan inside archives (e.g., .zip, .rar, .tar.gz). Also make sure to go as deep as possible, even if it takes longer. Scan for "joke viruses" too. Use the most "paranoid" settings possible because it's perfectly reasonable to be vigilant in trying to find harmful software. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Solution

TheTemest

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010
Thank you for pouring over the elements of my last reply. Not untile you requested the results of a Hijackthis scan had I checked it in 2 months.
> The first item of concern to you is the Cisco Mobility client. I work from home and iit is the software necessary for me to connect to a VPN. Until I leave the company it must remain....but you concerns are valid even though the VPN is highly secure.
> All of the other items in your list will be deleted along with a few others that may be "Safe" to the consensus. I have never had an infection of any kind is my years of computing and I believe it's due to my paranoid nature of what Microsoft and other vendors put on my computer that I eliminate as quickly as possible.
> With the exception of three fonts that I added I will delete the others as they would most definitely have the most direct effect of how Word loads, While I'm not expecting a miracle by deleting them, they are extras that I do not need at this point.
> I'll give it a go defragging in Safe Mode with Ultra Defrag.

I will report back in a day or two. Thanks again for your efforts.