WordPress Hit By Massive DDoS Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
This is the largest and most sustained attack we've seen in our six-year history. We suspect it may have been politically motivated against one of our non-English blogs but we're still investigating and have no definitive evidence yet.

So are we talking Libya? China? Iran? Egypt?

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I don't think it's them. To me it sounds like a blog run by anti-government activists from one of the aforementioned countries was the target. At least that's my take.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I don't see why China, Libya, Egypt, or even Iran would want to attack Wordpress. I can imagine some racist bastard here in the US launching the attack on Wordpress, but only because stranger things have happened and been caused by illogical people.

However, Wordpress does say that it doesn't know why it was attacked, so the above paragraph could mean absolutely nothing. At this point, any speculation is speculation based on stereotypes.

TheWhiteRose000

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
@Taylor422
It does sound like something they would do.
Maybe some brave soul should go to 4chan and ask?
Even though they won't go OH HEY YEA I'M A ANON!
Doesn't mean they won't answer a question of who's to blame.

kaydee

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
This attack is originated from North Korea. Since yesterday (4th, Mar) they started the DDoS attack. A Similar attack happened last year in South Korea and the attack actually did quiet a stir on government operated websites.

kaydee

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
This virus is distributed from many-operational web-disk service and/or Korean P2P programs and servers. It is said that about 30 servers in overseas are ordering those infected PCs to attack specific targets. This virus also wipes the whole HDDs, data is NOT recoverable. The activation date is 7th, Mar. This virus will block vaccine update route, so unless you manage to download the vaccine before 7th, you won't be able to recover your PC, if you are already infected.

jackson1420

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]FloKid[/nom]Government still uses DoS?[/citation]

You post on this site and don't understand in the least what DoS is?

frozenlead

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Jackson1420[/nom]You post on this site and don't understand in the least what DoS is?[/citation]

I think he meant that if it was a government, they should have better methods of removing/disabling or otherwise making some online content unavailable than a silly denial of service attack.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
[citation][nom]Jackson1420[/nom]You post on this site and don't understand in the least what DoS is?[/citation]

DoS is for boobies

casperstouch

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Wow, A distributed denial of service attack (DDoS) occurs when multiple systems flood the bandwidth or resources of a targeted system, usually one or more web servers. I thought most people that use this site would have already know what that was. If not next time do a little research if you don't understand something.

john10

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
wordpress is blocked in iran anyway alonside blogger, flickr,youtube,google reader, google video search,yahoo world news, and many more

Status
Not open for further replies.