Words Used in Email Can Predict Sender's Work Hierarchy

Status
Not open for further replies.

takk78

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
Obviously those stupid enough to use the word "kitchen" in an email are destined for low level positions. Other phrases that indicated position of authority included, but were not limited to "It wasn't my idea" "yea but i was off the clock" "who gives a fuck"

takk78

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
Obviously those stupid enough to use the word "kitchen" in an email are destined for low level positions. Other phrases that indicated position of authority included, but were not limited to "It wasn't my idea" "yea but i was off the clock" "who gives a fuck"

takk78

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2012
[citation][nom]takk78[/nom]Obviously those stupid enough to use the word "kitchen" in an email are destined for low level positions. Other phrases that indicated position of authority included, but were not limited to "It wasn't my idea" "yea but i was off the clock" "who gives a fuck"[/citation]
[citation][nom]takk78[/nom]Obviously those stupid enough to use the word "kitchen" in an email are destined for low level positions. Other phrases that indicated position of authority included, but were not limited to "It wasn't my idea" "yea but i was off the clock" "who gives a fuck"[/citation]

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]CKKwan[/nom]
the ability to
I took
are available
kitchen
thought you would

And great, I am a boss now[/citation]

INot really. Read the article again and you will see why...

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Yeah, I want some AI software decide where and when my email goes out.
Please, we can not make a "spill checkers" that catches obviously misplaced words.

:)

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I thought you would like to know, my wife started extra seeds this year. I took some of the excess and put them in the kitchen down the hall. They are available for anyone who would like some.

I'm certainly not ready to call BS on what was likely a very carefully done statistical analysis, but I would question its importance and relevance. Come on, Tech, you can do better.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
:sarcastic: As if Enron is a good model to use for this type of study. Uh-huh, take a company that did everything in its power, legal and illegal, to take over the energy market in California and use it as a model for this study. What a bunch of, well, you know. As I see it, this study has little scientific credence mainly because the sampling of companies was a whopping 1.

G

Next, GT will research software to proofread the articles Tom's posts. Must be something lost in translation.

G

"I took the liberty of clearing your afternoon schedule. I told everyone you are available to meet tomorrow. I thought you would like to meet me in the kitchen after 3. I have the ability to make your afternoon very worthwhile."

Yup, for the boss.

morstern

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
These tend to inquire about status or confirm status or dictate direction: have you been, you gave, we are in, title, need in

These tend to report status or share status options or inform that you might want to make a decision: the ability to, I took, are available, kitchen, thought you would

kitchen kinda gets me a little. Curious if that is just Enron specific... perhaps they had a kitchen for employees to use and the workers often told on people for not cleaning.

Anyhow this is inline with Scientific Content Analysis (SCAN) so I basically trust it. Still Kitchen gets me and I am curious under what cases title is used.

Maybe I should test it on my boss by using boss speak. "I think you have been neglecting your duties again. You gave yourself time off while the rest of us were busting our butts. We are in the win mode while you are in the f-off mode. You have the title of boss but you act like the slacker. You need to get in with us or I will be taking your position."

Yeah then again...

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
I don't think we need another avenue for "improving your computing experience" that leaves us open for further privacy invasion and such. Besides, imagine how annoying this would be when it doesn't include the recipient you want in it's suggested recipients. It could be like texting on a phone with auto-correct/finish all over again, except with the possibility of doing more harm than mild embarrassment. Imagine your boss getting a message intended for your spouse, it's not too unlikely if you're not paying enough attention.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Waoooo, this is deep!!! Get real.....

Obviously how you write to your mom is different from how you write to your buddies. The same applies to bosses and coworkers.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Add to this the large number of exchanges either across borders or with non-native speakers of the English language.
Remember that 'knocking up a bitch' can have different meanings !

Status
Not open for further replies.