Workstation - Cheap & Powerful;

CynosureEPR

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Hey folks,

I'm currently sporting a HP EliteBook 8770w (third gen i7, 16GB RAM, 980GB SSD, 540GB SSD, Radeon HD 7700M) for work. I use it on a docking station (both at home and at work) with a dual monitor setup and the lid open as a third screen. I've used this thing almost exclusively for one and a half years.

My employer paid for it and I am switching jobs (in order to work from home, but I am still required to meet at a location once a month) and my new job would prefer me to have a laptop so that I can work with the team during monthly meetings.

I despise laptops.

My old desktop is a handful of years old now and can handle a small load of work, but doesn't stand up when compared to this EliteBook.. and I have no choice but to get a laptop in order to please my new employer.

I don't want to shell out a solid $1,500-3,000 for a laptop workstation that can keep up with the work loads that I will be experiencing. I'd rather cop out with a decent, cheaper laptop and suffer for a month or two in order to get myself an extremely nice desktop setup (as I will be working from home for all but one day a month or so).

The problem is, I don't really know all of what is available. I've found a couple of comparable EliteBooks on eBay for around $600-800 which would be nice if I win the bids; however, outside of that I've only managed to find the "Lenovo Y40" which has a $800 price tag.

I'll most likely be going for a refurbished or used version of whatever I decide upon in order to save a bit more. The more I can save, the sooner I can order my desktop.

TL;DR -- I need some decent, but cheap, laptop workstation suggestions. Cheap: because I hate laptops and would rather use my savings to purchase a desktop in the near future. Powerful: because I often run a lot of demanding programs at once and am constantly swapping between them.

Any suggestions?