World’s Smallest Wireless N Adapter Launched

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Edimax already have a same-sized product out for half the price.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
With this device as small as it is, I doubt is has very good range due to the lack of a proper antenna.

Really nifty idea though, great for transportation.

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]niz[/nom]No Linux support = me not interested.[/citation]

Get to work and write a driver. It is open source you know.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]sirmorluk[/nom]Get to work and write a driver. It is open source you know.[/citation]Writing a driver isn't the issue as there are plenty of people who will. All that is needed is the identification of the transceiver chip. It's highly likely that TRENDnet didn't make their own chip so chances are there is already a driver available for the OEM device.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Writing a driver isn't the issue as there are plenty of people who will. All that is needed is the identification of the transceiver chip. It's highly likely that TRENDnet didn't make their own chip so chances are there is already a driver available for the OEM device.[/citation]
Agreed. Under the hood, all of these WiFi adapters wither use Broadcom, Atheros, or RealTek chips.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Not to hijack but Pingdom said the exact reasons why Linux won't ever challenge even Mac OS.....•there are too many distributions,•there are too many GUIs,•the various Linux desktop products are not polished enough,•consistency and usability issues exist with the various Linux distros, and•the various suppliers of Linux distributions focus too much on heavy duty tech-savvy users, and not enough on normal everyday users.The last one is the main reason why Linux will never be anything more than what it is now.[/citation]
Gawd, another useless person talking BS out their mouth with "expert" garbage...

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]jrharbort[/nom]With this device as small as it is, I doubt is has very good range due to the lack of a proper antenna.Really nifty idea though, great for transportation.[/citation]
This nano technology is common now and the connectivity is quite amazing...

h2o_skiman

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
[citation][nom]jrharbort[/nom]With this device as small as it is, I doubt is has very good range due to the lack of a proper antenna.Really nifty idea though, great for transportation.[/citation]

What do you consider a proper antenna? A quarter-wave antenna is one of the best for omni-directional use.

For the 5 GHz band, a proper quarter-wave antenna is only 1.5 cm long or 0.59 inches. Interesting, that one of the dimensions of the device just happens to be 0.59 inches.

I am not saying that a multi-wave antenna may not have better range, but the device itself may have better antenna than you think.

It would be nice to see a side by side benchmark/review compared with other devices.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
The 649 models from TrendNet are slightly bigger and are 300Mbps. I dunno about the 648, but the 649 use Realtek chips. Windows Update has drivers for them too, so you can just temporarily plug your wired LAN cable in and get Windows to download the driver automatically for a nice, clean driver install without the crapware connection software from the CD.

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Not to hijack but Pingdom said the exact reasons why Linux won't ever challenge even Mac OS.....•there are too many distributions,•there are too many GUIs,•the various Linux desktop products are not polished enough,•consistency and usability issues exist with the various Linux distros, and•the various suppliers of Linux distributions focus too much on heavy duty tech-savvy users, and not enough on normal everyday users.The last one is the main reason why Linux will never be anything more than what it is now.[/citation]

You just basically described Android as well. It's not these things holding it back. It's just finding the right way to get people to adopt it.

Tell people that Linux is like their android phone and it "can do anything as long as you find the right apps (read:software and codecs)" and they'll probably find someone they know who is tech savvy to set them up with a linux installation to try.

Wretch open that closed, proprietary, non-disclosure loving mind of yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.