World's Smallest Full HD Display is Just 4.8-inch

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebee1991

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Can't deny that this is badass, but unnecessary. There's no way any human will be able to distinguish 1080p at that size. It's hard enough at 30 inches.

G

That is all well and good but where is my 3840x2160 27inch monitor.

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
This is one problem I see with HD technology is that they like to stick the same resolution on small displays and larger displays for consistency's sake. Now how hard can it be to cram a few more pixels on a 60" tv for god's sake?? It's pretty sad how a 4.8" Lcd can have the same resolution as a 60"er.. I WANT MORE PIXELS.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]mingo[/nom]The Apple fanbois have an orgasm right now.[/citation]
You don't need to be an Apple fanboy to orgasm to that. That's one sexy display.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
There really isn't any point to pushing pixel densities very far above 300 dots per inch. You would have to hold the phone very close to your face to even notice the difference.

tygrus

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2005
Does it come with a fresnel lens magifier or a pair of goggles?
Is it designed to hang from your hat ?
We'll all go blind trying to view it within inches of our nose.
High compression 1080i content looks worse than low compression 480p on a small screen especially if both had the same compression data rate. 1080i get's so blocky and messy with high compression and poor decoders which don't have extra capacity for better filtering (end up with smudges or shimmer anyway).

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]terror112[/nom]This is one problem I see with HD technology is that they like to stick the same resolution on small displays and larger displays for consistency's sake. Now how hard can it be to cram a few more pixels on a 60" tv for god's sake?? It's pretty sad how a 4.8" Lcd can have the same resolution as a 60"er.. I WANT MORE PIXELS.[/citation]

What are you going to do with all the extra pixels on your 60" television? Not watch the content that doesn't exist? Sounds awesome. I always wished I could have more pixels than I could possibly use.

bsbsbsbs

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
This would be great in a cell phone BUT how long's the battery going to last? The SAMOLED on the Galaxy S which is nowhere near this res already chews your battery.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]What are you going to do with all the extra pixels on your 60" television? Not watch the content that doesn't exist? Sounds awesome. I always wished I could have more pixels than I could possibly use.[/citation]

Youtube has 4k videos. You can choke the bandwidth for the rest of the country and show off your awesome TV at the same time!

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Would be awesome if it could be implemented cheaply enough on hand held devices. Purely so 1080p content doesn't need to be scaled when viewed on the in-built screen. mini HDMI out is awesome for HD content, but viewing it on a low-res screen is pretty iffy. even if this goes beyond distinguishable, it would sure look nicer than downscaled content.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Oooo nice.
Question of the day for a thumbs up: With that pixel density, what resolution can get it to display on a standard 24" monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.