Worried About PC Security - Any Malicious Program Professions?

samuelp1029

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017
Hey everyone, new here, but I need some help.

I've been trying to install google play on a kindle. I used a program from RootJunky to do so.

I didn't really care if I bricked my kindle. I never use it anymore, and I only really wanted to get a game that could use the bigger tablet screen (versus a phone).

However, the program needed me to install some drivers on the kindle through my computer, and it seems like they may have actually been installed on my pc. It all seemed very shady.

I stopped the program. It wasn't even working, to add to the shadiness. I had to restart my computer to get the drivers to work. It seemed to be running a bit slow. That's when I pulled the plug.

I ran Ccleaner, wiped the files, shut off my kindle, and my computer's currently running a full scan on McAffee.

I'm still worried about something I may have installed.

This was the guide that I followed: https://lifehacker.com/how-to-get-google-play-on-a-kindle-fire-and-install-any-1790706649
Method #2, and I screwed up some steps, installing the Play Store before the ABD drivers. Somehow I got one set of drivers to install with some fiddling, but my computer dosen't recognize what kind of device the fire is anymore (just registers as generic android mp3 player, can't transfer files anymore).

Can anyone who knows better check everything and make sure I'm not screwed?

Solution
For the Kindle and your PC to communicate, the software you downloaded has to install USB (ADB) drivers on your PC. No - these are not "shady". The links in the lifehacker article are OK. I assume you're running an anti-virus - at least the built-in Windows Defender? The stuff you downloaded is very low risk.

mdd1963

Distinguished
Any mysterious processes running in Task Manager/processes?

Do you have the option of doing a system restore to a date before the install?

A quick pass with Malwarebytes Antimalware never hurt anyone, see what it finds, and let it remove/quarantine what it does find...; I've never had it botch a system yet....

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
For the Kindle and your PC to communicate, the software you downloaded has to install USB (ADB) drivers on your PC. No - these are not "shady". The links in the lifehacker article are OK. I assume you're running an anti-virus - at least the built-in Windows Defender? The stuff you downloaded is very low risk.

Solution