Worst Tech Sequels Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
It's just sad how so many of these were "Yeap, I knew it."

I mean, with all the money and time and thought that goes into these products, there should have been some anticipation for (in most cases) their inevitable failure.

The firefox thing is sad though. I still use it, but it's starting to crash on me and it's not feeling so zippy anymore... Ah, how hard it is to be loyal but pragmatic.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
FF crash? Been a while... and I like to use beta versions.

And office 07... I have both 03 and 07 on my computer, but I use 07 anyways.

thexder1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I generally agree with the list. I would add or maybe replace the Tomb Raider game with Command and Conquer Tiberium Sun as well as Master of Orion 3. I cannot think of anything else off the top of my head that I would add or change on that list.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Sure Vista has its problems, but should it really be included in the same list as Windows ME?

Also, I have to dissagree with Office 07. Maybe the author doesn't like it, but thats a personal opinion. I like it and so do most people I know. And the software has sold pretty well as far as I know. The ribbon interface actually does make things more rapidly available when you get use to it. Also, the new OOXML file format is a good step forward. Microsoft's error with that was that they didn't roll out an update right away to let previouse versions of Office open the files.

As for the Dreamcast, it may belong in a list of "Most Unsuccessfull" but not in this list. The Dreamcast was a great console for its time. Just because it didn't sell well doesn't make it a bad console, it just makes it an unsuccesfull console.

MikeJRamsey

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
I don't think that Firefox deserves to be on this list. True, I miss Xinha here! (not supported anymore) but Firefox is still a competitive browser.

bladefist

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
I agree with previous! Does FireFox really desrve the 'Worst Tech Sequels Ever' title - just please be serious!
IMHO the best browser ever. Crushing safari, better then opera and comparable with chrome (my rating), but for web development and debugging - just crushes other browsers.
IMHO Vista isn't that bad, on an avarege CPU (2x2200MHz) it runs smooth, I don't play much so a few more FPS (on XP) is not a bargain to me AND Vista got it's features that are worth working witch this OS.
I use the Office2007 too - very happy with it. You just have to 'get used to it'.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Really disapointing article, I think it simply lists "pop-culture" opinions rather than actualy researched facts. I mean, seriously, Office 2007, FireFox 3.0, Vista and HD-DVD. Yes some of them had "shortcommings", some had rough starts, some failed commercially, but none of the ones I mentionned was a total failure.

Oh, talking about "Worst Tech Sequel Ever" ... how about BOM's forum revamp, I'm sure many will agree it is worst than half the things mentionned in this article.

Ryun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
I'm going to have to echo the sentiments made by some on Office '07. I had a bootlegged copy of Office 2000 from my dad's work and recently decided to take the plunge on a legitimate copy (plus, I got a great student discount).

Really I think most of the heckling about 07 was about the UI. Yes, it's different but I once you learn it I find it to be much more intuitive.

DarkMantle

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I strongly disagree with the inclusion of Sega Saturn, it was a great console the best and only real alternative for combat games with memory cartridges that were released for NeoGeo not to mention the most responsive GamePad ever made with 6 main buttons on 2 rows for games such as stret fighters, marvel vs capcom and so on.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
With many U.S. markets split in two over which way to dump their hard-earned money, investing in HD DVD was as comforting as betting all your money on black.

Wow...I've never heard such a biased view about HD-DVD, even from Sony.

First of all, while HD-DVD was initially expensive when it came out, Blu-Ray was even more so when it came out. HD-DVD came to be way cheaper than Blu-Ray, and it had a lower cost to build which means it would be cheaper than Blu-Ray is today.

HD-DVD had just a wee-bit more than "half" the capacity of Blu-Ray in practice (30GB vs. 50GB), as well the already standardized- never/rarely utilised double-sided HD-DVDs could actually hold more data than what was capable on a Blu-Ray disc at the time (although in theory, Blu-Ray probably would have trumped HD-DVD in capacity had push come to shove).

The war was all about money--unfortunately not about the consumer's money though. In fact, consumers "chose" HD-DVD as the discs were outselling Blu-Ray until the very end (because they were cheaper!), it is the studios that chose Blu-Ray because of the better exclusivity agreements (more money for the studios).

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
The HD-DVD part is complete tripe. It failed because it didn't have region locking and certain big movie studios didn't want to switch from the same release strategy that they were using before the internet was invented (make film, release film in the US, wait six months to see how it does, release film in other English speaking countries, wait six months, translate, etc etc). Their insistance to ignore the fact that the world is now far far smaller (communications wise) years ago and to still have region locks is why HD DVD failed.
The fact that movie studios wanted to be able to get away with selling films for double the price in foreign countries six months after they hit the bargain bins in the states is why Bluray has won. It was a win for the consumers that one format finally won out, however, it was a big loss in terms of affordability (HD DVD players and discs were cheaper) and freedom to play films bought abroad etc.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I can't agree with the Dell Mini 9. I have one, with a touchscreen, gps, the international english keyboard which has correct placement. Internal MicroSD reader for additional storage, a 32GB SSD with MAC OSX and Win7.

This thing is far more functional then any netbook of any size that I've used. It blows the doors off the Asus' and Samsungs' of the world.

The Asus with the buttons on the side of the touchpad???? Who the heck thought that brilliant idea up? Far worse than the Dell. And it's much smoother all around, no funky angles or bumps.

DarkMantle

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Well, as i disagreed with a gaming system i will nominate another gaming system. It was mentioned on another Tom's article some months ago its the infamous Nintendo's Virtual Boy. It was the worst gaming system i ever played (shame on me for even trying) and i really can't remember hearing anyone say anything positive of that gaming system at least those who owned it or played it at some point.

G

Firefox literally crashed as I got to the firefox entry. Love it.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
+1 on the 'new' eBay sentiment. Now the name of the game is bid in the last 8 seconds, even with the autobid in place. And a good majority of sales are "Buy It Now" only. That shouldn't even be allowed, it should be an auction with the option of a "Buy It Now" price.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think overall IE (specially IE5 and IE6) is a much worst browser than FireFox. The various installments of HDMI standard that just confuse consumers is another good candidate IMO. The new Macs which are just glorified PC (same HW, customized Linux OS, ...).

Status
Not open for further replies.